Malekyth
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject: Malekyth's Story
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:10 am 
Hiya guys and gals.
This is the 1st time I've ever been compelled to write a bit of a background story to one of my characters. I've written this at work and would like your thoughts and criticisms. Hope you enjoy and if the consensus is that it's ok, I may just write more!

The lone figure sat atop a hilltop overlooking the Amani Troll encampment, silently observing and noting the patrol routes of the guards. Once satisfied that he could sneak into the camp unobserved, he made his way slowly down the hill until he could hear the guards engaged in conversation around a campfire. He merged with the shadows and quietly crept into one of the mud huts that these savage, vicious creatures called home. There, as he suspected, was a locked chest. Deftly he picked the lock and opened the chest quickly taking the contents and putting them in his backpack. 'Bah!' he thought, 'Linen cloth again, don't these creatures ever have anything of value?' then, as swiftly as he dared, he once more blended into the shadows and made his way back up the hill.

Back in Silvermoon city, he visited the Auction House so that he could place his ill-gotten goods up for sale to the highest bidder, 'It'll pay my repair bill at least' he thought. Then he slowly wandered towards the nearest bar to have what he thought was a 'Well earned drink'. As he wandered across the courtyard he took in the magnificence of his surroundings.

He found it hard to believe that it was only 7 years ago that the Scourge, led by the reviled Prince Arthas, had cut a swathe of Death and destruction through the heart of his beloved Silvermoon City on their way to try and claim the Sunwell for their own, nefarious purposes.

His mind difted back to that fateful day when, as a young teenager, he had watched as his Father, Mother and Older Brother Sargeron, had all taken up arms in defence of their home City. He remembers his mothers words to him as if she had spoken them to him just scant moments ago. 'Run Malekyth, run as fast and as far as you can'. And with a heavy heart, he had done so.

He didn't return to Silvermoon for nearly a month, and , when he did, was horrified to see the devastation and death the Scourge had left behind in their wake. It was then, by pure luck alone, he came across a small band of survivors who were waging a campaign of Guerrilla warfare against the Scourge who remained down what they referred to as the 'Dead Scar'.

As the months went by, he noticed life returning to Silvermoon City but noticed a new, fierce determination in the eyes of his fellow countrymen. He stayed with the band of survivors, slowly learning the art of wielding 2 swords to devastating effect. He learnt how to remove objects from peoples pockets without them ever realising he was there. He learnt how to blend himself into the shadows so he became virtually invisible to everyone except the keen-eyed. He learned how to scrape a living from killing animals for their meat and turning their pelts into leather from which he could make armour. The band taught him all this and never asked for a thing in return except his comradeship.

Then, one day, as he returned to the camp from a visit to Silvermoon to pick up supplies, he was struck by the silence around him. No witty banter to be heard as usual, not the sound of knives and swords being sharpened ready for combat. Cautiously, he entered the camp and was horrified to see the bodies of his comrades butchered before him. Stunned, he made his way back to Silvermoon and sat in silence in one of the cities numerous bars
'Wassup Lad?' asked the bartender and Malekyth relayed the story of the camp to him. 'Sounds like its the work of the Death Knight raiding party from Deatholme that's been spotted up and down the Dead Scar' he said, 'The Silvermoon guards are on high alert' he added.
Malekyth stood, looked at the barman and said quietly 'They will pay dearly'.

Days turned into months, months into years and still, Malekyth waged his own guerrilla war against the Scourge and the accursed Amani trolls. Then, one balmy summers evening, he found himself at the bar in one of Silvermoons taverns drinking a silent toast to his fallen comrades when he noticed the bar had fallen completely silent, he felt the air go cold around him and he could feel the presence of someone standing behind him. He placed his drink down slowly then spun round quickly with a hand on his blade to find himself staring into the cold,undead face of his long lost brother, Sargeron.............

TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited by Malekyth on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dahk
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 am 
All I can say is: Very immersive. Good work.

As for the layout. You might want to add in a linebreak or two in the big chunk of text in the middle. On my widescreen it looks like a big block and I can only think some smaller monitors will be filled by one block as well.

But thats just a small thingie.. The story is what counts.

Malekyth
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:02 pm 
Cheers Dahk, edited and hope it looks a bit better now :)

Fostern
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:50 pm 
Sso you are the 'Blade of the Borderlandss',that sit between your lands of Quel'thalass and the new Forsaken kingdoms.

Even I Fostern have heard whispers and tales of your exploits against our enemies there.They say you are an avenging wraith,striking without mercy and warning.

Elf I salute you!

(Nice background mate..really look forward to adventuring with you one day!)

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:54 pm 
What a great introduction Male! I especially loved the "merged with the shadows" bit. Story wise, you left it off at a good part, it kept me hanging there waiting for more.

Please do continue!

Lyrael

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:29 am 
Thank you for sharing this very nice introduction to your character...

The more the better, really...

Board index » Show and Tell » Show and Tell: Stories and Poems