It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:20 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics All times are UTC + 1 hour
Board index » Show and Tell » Show and Tell: Stories and Poems

Lahu
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Deadly choices (A tale of pirates, curses and elves!)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:00 am 
((This is an ongoing story I thought up a while ago about my blood elf warlock, Abigorwyn. This is my only really evil character, but I'm hoping to show that there is also more to her than it initially seems. I have finally posted the conclusion. Enjoy!))

It was very noisy in the small but packed bar. The little coastal town was, as usual, swarmed with pirates and people with less than honourable intentions. Although the red sun was still visible over the horizon, the irresistible curse of intoxication was already claiming its first victims.

A few heads turned when the tall, slender figure entered the establishment. Given its usual population of tough and well-built men - humans, dwarves and goblins - this was a rare sight. Those who had already traveled too far on their self-imposed journeys of drunken squalor did not care much. But about eight pairs of eyes followed this figure very closely as it sleekly moved through the bustling crowd to finally take a seat near the far end of the bar.

The blood elf was simply dressed. Her robe was a plain dark red colour, with a hood that also covered most of her head. It was loosely bound around her waist, slightly accentuating her disciplined figure. A pair of simple leather shoes did the job. For a split second, something green flashed from one of her long, white and sleek fingers - a precious jewel perhaps?

The dwarven barman approached, his curiosity piqued. "A drink fer ya, milady?" His blue eyes rested on the slightly bowed head of the female in front of him, an eyebrow raised inquisitively. He could see her lips move to form a smile. After a few seconds, her head tilted up. Intense green glowing eyes stared straight back at him. The lips parted...

"Give me your strongest beer, mister dwarf." The female voice rang out, a strange accent betraying its Thalassian origins.

The barman was taken aback for a second. The raised eyebrow now joined with its neighbour to form a frown. He gave a step back, saying, "Yer not one of them fel..."

She interrupted. "If you please?" The eyes were absolutely fixed on his, the smile wider than before. The usually headstrong no-nonsense dwarf felt a chill creeping up his spine. He had to look away.

"Comin' right up," he replied a bit softer than usual, while turning around.

By this time, her neighbour, a tanned muscled human with scars on his face, felt it his duty to strike up a conversation.

"Eh! So what is your business here? New in town?" He gave a good chug of his ale while his eyes were lustily exploring her figure.

The pale hands reached up and slowly pulled down the hood. The head turned slowly to face the man. Green eyes staring down into the abyss of his soul. After a few seconds, the man became a bit uncomfortable. "Eh lass, not going to say anything?" His eyes darted to and fro.

She spoke slowly. "Are you looking for treasure?" The question took him aback. Then, after a few moments, a smile grew on his face.

"Treasure? Hahaha, where?"

The dwarf put down a glass of beer next to her. Without looking, she immediately took it and downed it in one go. While putting it down again, her other hand swiftly placed a few copper coins next to it. She does not appear to be in the least affected by the strong beverage.

She was still looking at the man. Slowly leaning forward, she whispered, making sure that no keen barman ears could hear. "I know of much treasure. I know you are in a crew. We will meet at your ship in half an hour. Tell your crewmates."

The pirate stared at her for a few moments. Then he licked his lips and slowly nodded. "Aye aye, then we shall." He slowly got up from his chair, ale in hand, eyes going up and down again. The green eyes stared back. Then he turned around and walked to a table at the other end of the bar.

A hand roughly grabbed the blood elf's shoulder. "Hehey! Come on, let's have a chat, shall we?" A drunken figure stood, swaying on his feet. A large grin was spread out on the human face, a few lustful chuckles emerging from his contorted mouth.

The blood elf's head turned again. This time, she wasn't smiling. Her face had gone dark. Her eyes glowed more intense than before. It met the human's.

The grin faded. For a second, nothing happened. Then he suddenly inhaled, with the volume and intensity of someone experiencing the onset of a panic attack. His mouth opened for air. His eyes widened. A few heavy breathes followed each other quickly. Then, he started shaking. Almost losing his balance, he tried to turn around. But it was too late.

A nightmarish scream erupted from his throat. As it grew louder, he started to run. As his screams grew more desperate, more bloodcurdling, he ran faster and faster. He was heading straight for the exit, shoving over other people and even chairs, trying to get away as fast as he can.

Even some of the severely drunken heads now turned around to witness the spectacle. Not bothering to open the door first, he burst through it, ramming the lock straight off the wall. A few people followed to see where this was going to end.

It did not end well. All that was between the bar and the waters of the bay was a footpath and a low metal fence. With a sickening thud his shins made contact with the barricade. His momentum carried his body over, and with flailing hands, still screaming in agony, he landed in the water with a loud splash.

Another man was - hesitantly - preparing to go in after him, but was convinced by a goblin voice speaking in particularly badly articulated Common. "Hey ho, he's my mate ya know, he can swim, he'll...*hic* come back!" And a high-pitched laugh squealed forth from his clownish green face. A cheer followed from the onlooking crowd, and most of them went back to their drinks. Stranger things have happened, at least from their inebriated points of view.

But a few wary pairs of eyes were directed at the blood elf. The human pirate and his crew sat at their table - they had watched the whole spectacle in disbelief.

She was sitting still, looking at the fleeing man. Then, finally, her eyes shifted to the pirate crew. A few agonizing moments, then she stood up. Slowly and sleekly, she headed for the doorway. On the way out, the head turned to the human once more. He felt like he had no choice but to acknowledge her attention, and slowly nodded in return.

Then she was gone.

Main Alliance character Laemadae on Argent Dawn

Last edited by Lahu on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lahu
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Deadly choices
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:25 pm 
The full moon was up in the sky. Impatiently, the pirates waited next to their moored medium-sized ship, tucked away in a safe corner of the harbour, so as not to draw too much attention. Some of them were sitting down on the ground, backs against some barrels, barely able to walk.

One tall muscled man, with rough blonde hair and an eyepatch, grumbled. "Jaek, we had better get some treasure soon, or you will pay by bringin' us out here while we could have been drinking our ale!"

A very short dwarf, round like a belly, with a pipe in his mouth, loudly consents. "Aaargh, where is tha' scaaary girlfriend of yars, heh?"

Another man, dark, slim and lean, was waving his cutlass around. "Aye, she'd better come, I'm ready for action, and I'm getting thirstier by the minute!"

A sitting goblin joined in, "Heeheehee! thirsty for some elvish booty, if you know what I mean!" A high-pitched laughter emerged from his mouth, cut short by him losing his balance, hitting his head against the concrete. "Oooow!"

Jaek was starting to look really uncomfortable. He grimaced, his scars flexing across his face in unison.

A clear female voice cut through the night. "Good evening. Have you been waiting long?" A slight mocking tone was hiding in the superficial display of concern. The blood elf came forth from the shadows. Her hood was down, revealing a face with pale white skin, sharp features, long elvish ears, flaming red hair and bright green eyes. She was now wearing another robe: dark purple, with intricate patterns of strange runes and letters. Around her waist was a huge silver belt with similar patterns, and on which all kinds of strange metal objects were attached. On her feet were brown leather boots. She was now also carrying a large leather bag. Something which looked like a staff was fastened to it. It was thick, dark and had a huge head attached to it. The head looked like that of some sort of demonic beast. A strange dense glow surrounded the staff. The more sober attendees might have noticed that she was still wearing the large green jewel on her finger.

The pirates grumbled. However, they said nothing and kept their distance, remembering what had happened earlier that evening in the bar.

Jaek spoke. "We are assembled, elf. I hope you know where we are going." He nodded towards the blonde man. "This is our captain, Kendreth Smokestone."

The blonde man, chewing some tobacco, looked at the elf. "You are not from around here. Who are you, heh? And what's in it for you?"

The elf smiled and looked at the captain. He was looking straight back, but he felt a drop of sweat forming on his brow.

"Greetings good captain. I am just a humble elf, bored by the politics and fakery of the people of Silvermoon. So I am also a treasure hunter, in a sense like you are. During my travels, I have encountered some information that, some years ago, a large amount of gold and precious jewelry was stashed by some seafaring trolls on an island not far from here. But I have also heard that the island is occupied by a tribe of vicious pygmies, and what is better than to take a crew of strong and well-armed men to accompany me to ensure success? Of course, when we find it, I am quite willing to share a substantial amount with the crew." She smiled.

Kendreth grinned. "Very well, you shall rename nameless for now. If it is as you say, elf, bring forth your proof, and we might consider it."

"Already here, captain." She was holding a document in her hand. Kendreth rubbed his eyes. He was pretty sure that a second ago, she wasn't holding anything like that in her hands. His suspicion of her deepened, but he decided to play along.

"A map to the location of the treasure," she said. "For our safety, I propose that we discuss the proper location once we are on board."

Kendreth looked at her for a few seconds. "Er...yes. All right, you lousy pieces of guano, get on your feet, get on board!" He clapped his hands. The few crew members that were sitting or lying staggered to their feet. The slim man with the waving cutlass was first to untie the ropes, shouting, "Finally!"

---

It was a few hours later. They were expected to arrive early in the morning. Most of the crew had gone to sleep. The helmsman was busy attending to his job with relative ease. The sea was quite calm, the moon bright and a pleasant breeze was playing on the skins and with the hair of the few individuals on the deck.

The blood elf was one of these individuals. Hidden out of sight of the others, who were either attending to some aspect of the ship, having a last drink or attending to ablutionary duties, she stood still, alone, looking out over the waters. There was no sound except for the tightening of the ropes, the creaking of wood and the eternal rush of sea water.

For a long time, she stood still, just watching. Later, a cloud partly moved in front of the moon, just as a tear was slowly rolling down her face.

Lahu
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Deadly choices
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:03 am 
Dawn came quickly. It was going to be a scorching day. The pirates barely had time to force down their paltry rations before Kendreth put them all to work. The elf was standing on the bow next to the helmsman, the round dwarf, looking for land. Next to her, Kendreth stood with a spyglass. Every so often, he would go back to the main deck and scold a lazy crew member, or bark out commands. Every one of them silently swore to kill that elf if she was wrong about the treasure. Some of them had been to this island before, and their experiences were all but pleasant. Not all of them were happy with the captain's decision. What if she was leading them into a trap?

Kendreth looked at the elf, in vain trying to read her thoughts by studying her face. It was a beautiful face, no doubt about it. Big eyes, a small pretty nose, high cheekbones, protruding chin, luscious lips. Every now and again, though, those lips would contract into something like a snarl. Or was it more like a grin? He imagined her something like a femme fatale - a woman who would be able to accomplish almost anything with a man, casting an irresistible spell on them. And then he would get nervous: Wasn't that exactly what was happening here?

The captain was more wary, cautious and street-wise than most of the other pirates. He had his heart broken before, whatever was left of it, stabbed in the back (figuratively and literally), ripped off and cheated out of hard earned cash. He had learned that you would only survive if you resorted to the same tactics, while outsmarting those who attempted to do the same. Silently, he undertook to make extra sure that it would not happen to him and his crew this time.

But Kendreth Smokestone was still just a pirate. He had little knowledge of the magic arts, only of tales of unexplicable events and of seamen meeting their doom against powerful mysterious figures.

"Land ahoy!" the dwarf shouted and pointed. A cheer erupted from the crew as they rushed to starboard and to the front of the ship. Slowly but surely, a thick jungle came into view. As they approached, in the far distance, a high mountain can be seen.

The elf turned to Kendreth. "As I said, the cave is at the foot of the mountain. The jungle is too thick to cross, and we may be attacked by pygmies and wild animals. The best landing spot is halfway around. The back of the mountain is near the beach."

Her mouth contorted into a grin. "I would suggest you arm yourselves."

Lahu
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Deadly choices (A tale of pirates, curses and elves!)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:37 pm 
((Warning. The conclusion of my story below contains a certain amount of gore. Not for the squeamish! I hope you enjoy, and would be interested in your reactions :-D ))

The sun was well up when they arrived at the designated landing spot. Every pirate was sweating profusely, cursing the unrelenting sun. But the elf did not seem to break a sweat at all, her white skin untouched by the merciless rays.

"Anchor!" Kendreth shouted. "Tie the masts, get the boats ready! Go go!"

The crew proceeded in two rowing boats toward the open beach. A large rocky hill, at the foot of the much larger mountain, loomed in the distance. It was to be a short walk through some dense jungle to reach it.

"It is a large cave. The treasure is buried in a large room towards the back," the elf said before they left ship.

The rowing boats slipped to a slow halt over the wet sand. Sea gulls were present in big numbers, audibly making their presence known. They were circling above the men, like vultures waiting for a dying prey to take its last breath. The relatively calm waters glistened, which together with the gentle lapping waves and pristine white beach had a deceptively soothing effect.

The captain took his sword from its sheath. "Be ready men," he cautioned. The others also drew their weapons. Their eyes follow the elf's every movement, every now and then nervously darting towards the thick foliage ahead.

As they entered the jungle, the almost overwhelming noises of birds became even louder. A small animal, probably running away from what could be perceived as possible predators in the forms of the approaching humanoids, made a snorting sound and scurried away. Here and there, a spider could be seen creeping up a bark, suicidal flying insects explored the faces of irritated nervous pirates and wings fluttered as they encroached upon the birds' native territory.

They were almost at the side of the hill. Thankfully (and perhaps strangely) no pygmies were around to attack them. Perhaps they had a foreboding for what was to come, and wisely decided to keep their distance.

The entrance was small: Most men had to bend over and half-crawl through a relatively narrow space. Once inside, there was a bit of room to stand.

The elf went first. One by one, the pirates went after her. They were amazed to see her standing at the far end of the first room, holding her big staff, glowing as bright as the brightest torch.

Kendreth looked her straight in the eyes. "Get your torches out, men," he ordered.

The crew complied, while the elf stared back, giving a slight chuckle.

Again, she took the lead, her staff illuminating the damp dark space. Here and there, small rodent or insect legs could be seen or heard scurrying off. The perspiration forming on the brows of Kendreth and his crew was not only from the stifling heat.

Another corner, and they reached what seemed to be a surprisingly large cavern. On the ground nearby, some loose chunks of dirt were strewn around. She pointed. "It must be over here."

The captain shouted back to his men. "Shovels!" Not long after, a team of men shoveled away eagerly. The blood elf waited patiently.

It was not long until one of the shovels hit a solid object. Jaek's eyes lit up. "Here it is!" Some more digging, and a medium-sized metal box appeared.

The lid came off easily. Inside, an impressive stash of treasure reflected the light from the torches almost blindingly.

Kendreth grinned. "Gold, jewelery, ancient artifacts...Men, we are rich!" A great cheer went up, echoing among the cavernous halls.

It was Jaek who first noticed something. "Captain, where is the elf?"

The captain, suddenly realizing the situation, reacted promptly. "It's a trap, men, let's move!"

But it was too late. From seemingly nowhere, a large gust of wind swept over them, blowing out the torches. A barrage of swearing and surprised shouts ensued. On a hunch, Jaek swiveled around. His eyes widened.

A large blue monstrosity came floating towards them. It was glowing slightly, with fel green eyes shining bright. A scream of terror erupted from the pirate's lungs.

The rest of the crew reacted in horror to the sight, not noticing another hellish creature approaching them from behind. The felhound was swift and deadly, tearing out the throats of three crew members in just a second.

Outside of the cavern where the treasure was located, Kendreth Smokestone was running for his life. Every few seconds, he crashed painfully against a wall, but quickly resumed even faster and more determined. He had been in situations like this before, and a good sense of direction can often mean the difference between life and death. He gnashed on his teeth as he heard the dying screams of his crewmates coming from behind. His heart was pounding, his eyes wide, his body full of fear-fueled adrenaline.

In the distance, he could see the small opening of the cave exit. He increased his speed, preparing to dive out. Jumped...

The blade came down swiftly. It neatly decapitated the captain in-flight. For a split second, the body and head flew in a straight trajectory together. Then they dropped, the head rolling out of sight into the bushes.

The elf smirked, wiped the blade, put it back in the sheath and stood up. Slowly, she strolled across to find the head. Grabbing it by the hair, she turned it around to look at the face.

"This one was strong. He may be interesting," she whispered to herself. Out of the large bag she carried, she produced and opened a large wooden container and stashed the head inside.

For a few moments, she looked at the bright sky. This was the path she followed. After the deaths of her beloved and all that followed, she had no choice. Survival. Power. No mercy, no remorse, no weakness. It had to be done.

Just like on the ship, an almost overhelming sense of sadness and hopelessness took hold of her. She cursed herself for her lack of control, angrily wiping away at one eye.

A few more moments to compose herself. Then, she turned around and proceeded to enter the cave once again.

The sun was high up in the sky. The almost unbearable heat had become even worse. Even the birds seemed to be hiding in the shadows for the time being.

The elf finally emerged from the cave. The bag seemed to be much heavier now. She was physically strong, though, not giving many signs of discomfort.

From behind a tree, the studious green face of a small creature was watching every move. Keeping perfectly quiet, he watched her moving back to the beach again.

When she was out of sight, a huge wide grin contorted the face and large ears. The goblin spoke to himself quietly. "I see you. Abigorwyn, of the House of Darksun. You take the treasure with you, to bury it again. One day, I will get my chance. Yes, I will...Soon, very soon..."

Board index » Show and Tell » Show and Tell: Stories and Poems