It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:21 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics All times are UTC + 1 hour
Board index » Show and Tell » Show and Tell: Your WoW pictures and videos

Nariath
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject: Nariath's 'I can't draw but I don't care' thread.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:38 pm 
As the thread title states, I am at best an amateur artist, but I love drawing my characters and I definitely think I get better with practice.

So, I thought I would share one of my better works with the good folk of the Elders. It's nothing great or special, but I'm foolishly proud of having drawn something that looks okay. Here's Nariath, looking every bit the grouchy sod he is. It's a scan of a pencil and paper drawing that I ought to clear up in GIMP one day.
Attachments:
img028.jpg
img028.jpg [ 179.23 KiB | Viewed 2919 times ]

Moundoum
Initiate
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Nariath's 'I can't draw but I don't care' thread.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:14 pm 
*applauds*

Good drawing, but I must say I must applaud also the attitude of this thread. That's the way to live!

Alts [H]: Omahame (pigtailed rogue stuns people at arenas and scratches the backs of raid bosses), Behure (noble paladin heals battlegrounds and arenas), Kalmavena (angry goblin girl tanks huge monsters without fear and stubbornly dies at bgs).

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:09 pm 
Very nice, and I agree with Moundoum that the idea of the thread is great too!

As a professional artist, so many people say stuff to me like "Oh I wish I knew how to draw like you", but I strongly believe that this can be a self taught thing and all it requires is practice. It is true that some people will need more time and patience practicing, but anyone can learn how.

Take for instance drawing a ball. So you set a perfectly round ball on the table and decide to draw it. First the lines may be squiggly, and you might have to erase and edit it a bit. But it's inevitable that after numerous tries you'll succeed. It's the same with any other object, no matter how detailed or complicated.

Also something that people need to understand is that it's ok to copy from reference when you're practicing. Copy copy copy copy until the shapes and forms are imprinted in your brain. Soon you'll notice that you can draw the same thing from memory alone. That's what artists do, they draw from reference endless times, gathering stuff into their brains for later use.

A good example was the task I got at work last month. I had to draw a bear for our Gangs of Boomtown game. I'd never drawn a bear in my whole life before. Horses yes, pretty ladies yes, cats, dogs, architecture... but never bears. It just never came to mind to draw one. So I spent like an hour scouring for reference material on google, watched some bear videos on Youtube, sketched and erased and sketched some more - finally I got it in the end.

Now had you asked me to draw a horse, I could have done it from memory alone and on the first try. I've drawn hundreds upon hundreds of horses in my lifetime. All the data is there up in my noggin.

So just goes to show that even a "professional" has to gather, copy, replicate and practice.

Here's the bear I did btw:

http://andrea.net/flash/animations_before_and_after.swf

(the "before stuff is what a trainee did and I had the task to either polish the work or completely remake it such as the wolves and bear. Also it might be laggy to look at since these are vectors, but if you right click you can zoom into an area which will alleviate the lag)

Nariath
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:14 am 
Thanks for the replies! The drawing has a few flaws I could iron out and a couple of things I would do differently if I drew the picture again. But that is learning for you. Perhaps one day I will learn to draw hands, and to colour, and to use my graphics tablet without it feeling clunky :D

The point of this thread isn't for me to stick my art up on the forums. Well, it partly is, but I would love to see work from other Elders, especially those who might not think of posting their own stuff. I know a lot of people who always say, 'Oh, my art is terrible, I'll never let anyone see it!' Well, I think it sucks that people can be so let down by all the negativity on the internet and that they can be so afraid of putting their work out there for others to look at and comment on. Too many trolls and too many folks who have forgotten they had to start somewhere as well!

Brambline is right and it's really good to hear from a professional artist here. I think a lot of people forget, when seeing a great piece of art, that the vast majority of brilliant artists and professionals had to learn too. Natural talent will take you so far, but perseverance and practice will take you a lot further.

Hence the title of this thread is 'I can't draw but I don't care'. Because if you stop at 'I can't draw' you can't really go anywhere from that point. I've seen a lot of promising art from people who 'can't draw' - art that really brought some life to their RP character - and that in itself made their work a success in my opinion. I can't draw very well, but I don't care - so I'll keep drawing and getting better.

Moundoum
Initiate
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:24 pm 
*applauds again*

I was drawing all the time 20 years ago. Learned by doing and got pretty ok. Even had one independent cartoon album out. The thing I learned was that every picture tells awful lot of the thing drawn and at the same time of the subject drawing. Drawing to me, in it's essence, has nothing to do with the skill. It is about moving on and daring to go.

Alts [H]: Omahame (pigtailed rogue stuns people at arenas and scratches the backs of raid bosses), Behure (noble paladin heals battlegrounds and arenas), Kalmavena (angry goblin girl tanks huge monsters without fear and stubbornly dies at bgs).

Laile
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:32 pm 
I can't draw either, but I love messing about with ideas. Here's a couple from my archives...

This one was an in-joke about using a dwarf as bait to go fishing for Horde in PvP. Not as funny out of context, I guess funnier for the players whose characters I picked on!

This second image is a composite I made using one of those apps, modelviewer I think it is called and then put together in photoshop (I actually have a genuine version from years ago, version 7). Was great fun to make and was based on mine and a friend's druids.

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:35 am 
Very nice! And WoW Model viewer is soooo much fun! I've used it a lot for various reasons.

Pryderic
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm 
A friend of mine on twitter and EU player Alliance side on the Terokkar server drew a photo of my Pryderic toon :D

http://rigarmorty.ridill.com/Blog%20Photos/Pyderic%20Drawing.jpg

Tripellian (Troll Druid)

Alliance:
Erinthia (Draenei Shaman)

Pryderic is son of the exiled witch Rhiannon born and raised in The Dustwallow Marsh now resurrected.

Nariath
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:38 am 
I like the cartoon, Laile. I don't know what the context is, but it made me chuckle. And that's some nice model viewer/Photoshop work there - WMV is a favourite toy of mine.

Pryderic - looks very Forsaken-ish with the hood, it has a model I'm very fond of. You have me wanting to try draw a character in gear, this is doomed to failure *grins*.

Laile
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:33 pm 
Would be nice to see some more stuff here and also I need to remember to check these forums more frequently!

Nariath
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:19 pm 
I meant to post a pic I did of Khalaren for his Sha'tar Wiki page, but I forgot. Here it is:

And a sketch of an old RP character of mine, which turned out better than I expected:

Board index » Show and Tell » Show and Tell: Your WoW pictures and videos