Rank 5
<The Elders>

Expert Scribe
Expert Scribe
 Post subject: Magrath the pacifist reached 85
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:15 pm 
Done it.

At long last.

Reached level 85 without killing a solitary creature. Not a single scuttling cockroach.

I knew it was possible but I started to get very nervous toward the end in case I inadvertently killed something.

For the record I experienced only 6 deaths. Would have been nice to have zero deaths too but that's tough.

Took just over 7 days 8 hours gameplay time which isn't too bad as it averages out at just over 2 hours per level.

I think I need a lie down now in a darkened room to recover but if folk are interested I'm happy to share my experiences of how I did it. What tactics and things I did to build up that precious XP.

Cheers,

Magarth AKA Amadaze

Pryderic
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Magrath the pacifist reached 85
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:13 am 
Grats and well done!! Really impressive! :D

Cheers,

Pryd

Tripellian (Troll Druid)

Alliance:
Erinthia (Draenei Shaman)

Pryderic is son of the exiled witch Rhiannon born and raised in The Dustwallow Marsh now resurrected.

Zamarane
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:33 am 
That's darn impressive. Congratulations! :)

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:47 pm 
Wow wow wow! Well done Ama!!! Yes please do share all the tips you can with us! And 6 deaths is amazing... how you were able to keep your alive without dying more is beyond me!

Jhistal
Rank 1
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:55 pm 
That is really impressive! I don't know how you managed without going insane. Or maybe going insane only helps? :D

Congrats! Well done indeed!

Amadaze
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Expert Scribe
Expert Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:08 pm 
Thanks for all the nice feedback. My wife passed the facebook ones on to me too as I had been a bit remiss and hadn't joined up to that yet - I've sent in a request now though Brambline.

I'll get my thoughts together and put down my tactics in the next day or so.

Amadaze
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Expert Scribe
Expert Scribe
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:57 am 
Welcome to the Way of Magrath

"Don't step on the cockroaches."

Here are my thoughts & tactics about how to succeed at levelling a pacifist.

1) Be patient.
2) Be very patient - this will take some time although at an average of just over 2 hours per level I didn't think it was too bad.
3) Only level when you have rested state so you get double the XP.
4) Get all the heirlooms you can get. I had 4 - on my head, shoulders, back & chest giving me an additional 35% XP boost.
5) Make sure you're in a nice guild like The Elders so you get the guild XP bonus too (another 10%).
6) I played a priest so obviously went Holy spec.
7) Don't use any offensive spells at all - ever. Beware of ones that have an AoE radius as that's how critters can get unexpectedly fried.
8) I only ever used Psychic Scream to get me out of a tight corner, Power Word: Shield to protect myself and a couple of healing spells on myself such as Renew & Flash Heal. I really didn't find anything else necessary.
9) Talent wise I only went for things that helped me protect & heal myself. Anything else was superfluous unless it was necessary to help get to a higher skill level in the talent tree.
10) Professions - mining & herbalism.
11) Archaeology is very, very important and at higher levels is one of your main XP gathering occupations. Since patch 5.04 this has become much easier as each site now yields double the number of digs @ 6. However this is also a very dangerous occupation especially at lower levels. 4 of my 6 deaths were from high level NPC's one shoting me during digs. It becomes much easier & safer to do at higher levels.
12) Always do the cooking & fishing dailies - every day if you can as it's a very safe way of getting XP.
13) Do Darkmoon Faire when it comes around. There are 6 profession quests that you can do - mining, herbalism, cooking, fishing, first aid & archaeology. Make sure you take 5 x simple flour for the cooking and 15 fossil fragments for the archaeology.
15) Explore everywhere but wait until you can fly. Even after you get the achievement for exploring a certain zone there are often areas of that zone that will yield additional XP.
16) Do the quests you can. There are a surprising number of quests you can do. Especially of the sort " big hairy bloke wants you to fly to XYZ and speak to fairy princess". But there are quite a few others such as gathering ones. If you're in doubt about how pacifist friendly any particular quest is then don't do it. Always fall on the side of caution. Don't forget seasonal quests too.
17) Never join a party or group. Just in case someone inadvertently kills something whilst you're grouped as I suspect this may count toward your kill total - I'm not 100% sure of this but I mention it here in case anyone does know for sure.
18) I didn't over fuss on gear. Every 10th level I bought a few upgrades and as well as looking for Spirt / Intellect it was useful to stack op on Stamina.
19) Play the character in short bursts so as not to get too bored. If you stick to the "only in rested state" there will be quite a few days where you only play for 10 minutes doing the cooking & fishing dailies. Then every few days once you've stacked up enough rested state to make it worthwhile spend some time catching up with that with any available quests, some exploration & gathering things.
20) Have fun. I found it surprisingly relaxing at times as it bypasses many of the more competitive aspects of WoW that can get tiresome at times.

I think that is everything. If anything else occurs to me I'll add it later. I found it rather fun to do as it was quite relaxing at times. You didn't have to get involved in all the arms race of better & better gear needed to do raids & dungeons that can often blight your WoW enjoyment - unless that's your thing of course. And at times it really feels dangerous taking your pacifist out into the big bad world. So many things in WoW have now been nerfed that when I played my hunter, other than dungeons & raids, I felt fairly invincible. There wasn't much that could really harm me. Well as a pacifist everything is out to harm you and you can't fight back. So you have to think in a very different and probably more realistic way.

Anyhow hope some of you find the above helpful and maybe fancy trying their hand at the life of a pacifist.

Cheers,

Magrath

Sull
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:25 pm 
Nice going Ama,
I guess this means I have no excuses now with Crowmane :)

Board index » Show and Tell » Show and Tell: Guild Events