Board index » Discussion » Discussion: General Chat [public]

Vanija
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Which game to choose....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:10 pm 
I just acquired a new computer and I'm taking it for a spin. The graphics and general performance runs laps around my old rig and I'm contemplating popping back into WoW for a stint just to see how the world looks on high graphic settings.

But I'm also contemplating trying out a brand new game and here you guys come in....I'm thinking of trying out either "The Witcher 2" or "Skyrim"......but would like to her what you guys can recommend with regards to these two games (or if there are any other outthere which could be interesting until GW 2 lands)

Nikina
Initiate
<The Elders>

Master Scribe
Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Which game to choose....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:42 pm 
I've never tried The Witcher 2, but as for Skyrim......

Well in 30 years of gaming, it ranks as one of my fave games of all time, I've got 160 hours played over 3 different chars, everything apart the game is wonderful, the combat, the music, the scenery.

Sure, you'll find little bugs here and there, but its just a great game to get apsorbed into, wandering about the place, finding locations etc

watch the review to give you an idea

http://uk.gamespot.com/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/

Robley: forsaken priest
Zwee: goblin warlock
Tweeble: gnome rogue
Zweeble:gnome mage

Lyrael

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:42 pm 
Ok, Vanija, I bought and played both The Witcher 2 and Skyrim, so maybe I can comment on this.

Both are great games, two exceptional RPGs, but very different from each other.

The Witcher 2 is basically about playing a great fantasy movie while being the protagonist. Great characters, cinematic storytelling, amazing historical battles, intimate relationships with your companions and so on. All along a quite solid combat system. You have to play a definite character, though: you cannot be the character you want, you can just interpret the character you are given in different ways, while slightly customizing his abilities and moral choices, following the story development.

Skyrim, on the other hand, is about playing a free form RPG in an open fantasy world which looks and feels as realistic as it can be. You can be the character you want, with the abilities you want. You can go everywhere, climb mountains and ride vast plains, be a hero or a villain, be a lone wanderer roaming the amazing northern landscape or become the Archmage of the Wizard College. It's all up to you. Moreover, the combat and exploration are quite immersive: I literally jumped on my chair more than once while exploring dark dungeons or facing gigantic dragons. It's not much like playing a movie, it's more like being dropped into another world.

So, they are two very different experiences. Should I pick one, I would say Skyrim. And this is coming from someone who was NEVER a big fan of The Elders Scrolls series. I was actually very skeptic about Skyrim as well. I think overall it's a more innovative experience: TW2 is like a more mature Dragon Age, Skyrim is something else. If nothing else, Skyrim has become such an outstading success in the videogaming scene during these last few months that if you are into gaming you probably SHOULD try it in any case, since it probably marks a milestone that probably many other games will try to emulate in the future.
But then again, if you are MUCH more interested in storytelling and cinematic action, you may still prefer The Witcher 2.

Ah, and then of course Guild Wars 2 will come and our lives and all other games will be taken from us for a long, long time... ;)

SWTOR (suspended)
Republic: Lyrael | Sith: Alesthes
WoW (suspended)
Horde: Azrael, Aenerys | Alliance: Eluthien, Anathiel

Vanija
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 pm 
Thanks - looks like I'll be starting out with Skyrim and then see if I ever get to The WItcher :D

Board index » Discussion » Discussion: General Chat [public]