Board index » Discussion » Discussion: General Chat [public]

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
 Post subject: Goldshire has moved!!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:27 am 
Upon hearing the worrying news of a new threat in far away lands, the townsfolk of Goldshire had a town meeting, to ponder what to do.
Should they stay put and hope that the handful of scraggly guards assigned to them, could defend the town against the giant monstrosities
that were headed their way? Or would it be wisest to pack up and move shop? Start again, fresh in new lands. A land safe from the invasion
of the rumoured giant panda bear race. It was said that these vile creatures had something they call "martial fighting skills", what this meant
they did not know - but what they did know for certain was that their poorly trained guards would be no match for the unexpected.

Some spoke of a promised land, called Sosaria - far away, yet abundant in everything they'd need to start anew. Teary eyed, Innkeeper Farley,
Melika and even old Smith Argus to name but a few, all start packing their wares for the journey ahead.

At long last the townsfolk arrived to a beautiful peninsula and decided to found their new town which they called New Goldshire. Day in and day
out they worked to build the inn and smithy, just as it had been in Azeroth. A few of the local materials were different, but it would do just fine!
Life was good and soon word got around about the new business they had brought. The locals flocked in and were nice, courteous folks indeed.
For the townsfolk, the best part of all was that there was not a single naked dancing elf to be seen anywhere! This was truly their new paradise!

Facebook folks: Sorry for posting these shots again here guys, but not everyone is on the Facebook group, and well after getting the Goldshire
smithy ready I'm just too excited not to show off the magic of UO one last time :-).

For those of you who do not know, I've been disheartened by the new expansion, enough to retreat back to my first MMO love, Ultima Online.
I decided to start building Goldshire there, just to see if it could be done, and this was as close as I could get. Those NPCs are vendors, and I'll
soon be stocking them up with the exact same wares they would sell in WoW. As for quest givers, I will stock them up with little quest books. It
will be so cool. Oh and the rooms upstairs in the inn are still free to come live in. I'll also be accepting non guildies to come live there since I doubt
any of you will be coming to try out UO.

I know it's bit weird that I got all HC UO on your butts just before SWTOR, but what can I say, I'm loving playing it again. SWTOR plans continue
as planned of course, after which UO will go back to back burner.

Odiun
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Goldshire has moved!!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:35 am 
This sounds fun, I never played UO but would like to try it. Sooo... what do I do to join U in "new azeroth"?

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:45 am 
The game has a monthly subscription like any other MMO, but you can try the free trial.

1. Start off by downloading the CLASSIC client here (trust me on this, the enhanced client only enhances frustration!):

http://www.uoherald.com/downloads

I think after you've installed it will offer a link on how to create a new account.

2. Once the game is up and running, you will need to choose a server. Choose Europa.

3. When making your character and choosing skills, I recommend ignoring the ready made templates and instead choosing "Advanced", then choosing something that sounds fun from the drop downs. Here is a list of all the available skills:

http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides

I warmly recommend however, that you allocate 50 points to Magery. (Don't worry, in the end you have 700 points to use!) Magery is a must in UO. It allows you to:

- Teleport over obsticles and rivers so you don't have to run around them trying to find a bridge
- Cure yourself from poison
- Heal yourself
- Create food for yourself
- Recall to runes (which allows you to travel long distances)
- Gate to runes (which allows you to create portals)
- Give yourself more strength (in case you become overloaded then you can carry more)
- Resurrect
- Give you night vision if you end up in a dark cave and can't see
- Open trapped chests from afar with Telekinesis so you don't blow up
- Turn yourself 100% invisible

And that is in addition to the many many offensive and protective spells of course! So yeah - get it!

Let me know when you're in the game and I'll come fetch you to New Goldshire. We can set up one of the rooms for you if you'd like to move in :-). (if only for that 1 week trial)

WoW:
Horde: Brambline [GM], Jezaline, Brula, Gruzie, Bita
Alliance: Lulai [GM], Shalestina, Felunia, Ferocia, Belaguine, Saphireena, Grunilla, Mitisa, Fasha, Ferabine

Odiun
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:06 am 
I cant get this to work, the game crashes to desktop every time. Looks like my PC is bit too modern for it :(

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:17 pm 
Oh that sucks. I wish I could offer some help but I've never had such problems myself. It shouldn't be a matter of the game being too old for your machine though
because obviously they've had to upgrade the client over the years to keep up with the times. Patches come in every week in fact.

I did some googling and what I kept finding were people talking about crashes using the Enhanced Client. Are you sure it was the Classic Client that you downloaded like I instructed?

Amadaze
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Expert Scribe
Expert Scribe
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:03 pm 
I've never heard of this game. I doubt there will be a MAC version though.

Like you Brambline I'm totally under-whelmed about the new expansion and am seriously considering whether to continue playing once it arrives.
I remember how keen I was to play both in Northrend and Catalcysm when those expansions came out but this one has just failed to ignite the same
sort of anticipation.

I'm also wondering what will happen to this guild as things have seemed to have gone very quiet. Although I'm still a relative newcomer to the Elders
I was hoping for more RP events as I came across to these realms after becoming disillusioned with my old guild becoming too raid competitive.
We have had a few nice events which I've enjoyed but these seem to have evaporated from the calendar now.

Not sure of the path ahead really.

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm 
Ultima Online originates from the Ultima series of single player games which were made in the 80's and 90's.
This game also was made by Richard "Lord British" Garriott, until EA took his company over and Garriott went
to do other things.

You can say that UO was the grandfather of the MMO genre, released in 1997 and still churning out
expansions to this day. Most recently was the High Seas expansion which allows you to build war ships
and go pirating out to sea, cannons and all.

I was looking through UO videos on YouTube and found a really good review which pretty much explains
it all. And like this guy keeps saying, the 3d client looks like crap, and he also recommends going for the
2d classic client if you're going to play it. Even though he doesn't recommend the game for new players,
he still admits to his affection for it, and how he returns to play it once in a while. And yes, although the
graphics are from a different world than the modern 3d games, the game still offers a magic and experience
you just cannot find anywhere else.

As for playing UO on a mac, I found this thread:

http://www.uoforums.com/uo-general-disc ... o-mac.html

As for the Elders. Well I've committed to a year's subscription for the diablo pack, so it's 100% guaranteed
that I'll be keeping the Elders up and running for the next year, even if I'm most likely going to be spending
my time either in UO or in Star Wars.

Many of us are trying the Star Wars beta right now and actually loving it a lot. My prediction for what will
happen with the Elders is that about half of us (the WoW vets who have played the game for too long)
will be going to SWTOR, and the other half (people who are devoted to WoW still, new WoW players,
new recruits etc) will continue on in the Elders - business as usual. It will obviously be more quiet but
I'm guessing that it will be more quiet in WoW in general in the coming months with so many great
games coming out.

I'm sorry we never got around to properly doing any of the RP things we planned to, but it was too much
too late. Perhaps we'll see you in SWTOR?

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:20 pm 
Oh and I almost forgot! The Game Developers Conference takes place once a year, usually in San Francisco, and it's here that the Game Developer Choice
Awards are held. Sort of like the "Oscars" of gaming awards. There are obviously many categories, but in 2010 they started a completely new category
called the "Hall of Fame" award.

And will you guess which game had the honor of being the very first recipient of this award? None other than Ultima Online :-). Probably because it's the longest running
MMO in history.

Here is the video they showed at the awards that goes through the history of the Ultima games:

Zamarane
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:13 pm 
Ultima Online is one of few simulation/immersion-first MMO RPGs left. If a developer brought back that aspect instead what we see in modern MMOs, I'd play it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, only few dare to go down this path. Maybe Everquest Next, World of Darkness, Copernicus or Pathfinder Online will bring back feeling of adventure in a complete, immersive virtual world.

Odiun
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:43 pm 
Brambline wrote:

I did some googling and what I kept finding were people talking about crashes using the Enhanced Client. Are you sure it was the Classic Client that you downloaded like I instructed?

Yes it was the classic version. Anyway I´ve been betatesting SWOTOR lately so I been kinda busy with that instead :)

Odiun
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:13 am 
Allright after a bit tinkering I managed to get it started, created a toon on Europa called Ayvan and looking forward to see new Goldshire :)

Pryderic
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:08 pm 
I think I'd be playing this if I could source the game time cards locally but doesnt' seem to be the case at the moment.

Have asked Santa for Minecraft but we'll have to see...

Tripellian (Troll Druid)

Alliance:
Erinthia (Draenei Shaman)

Pryderic is son of the exiled witch Rhiannon born and raised in The Dustwallow Marsh now resurrected.

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:55 pm 
Yayyyyy Odiun! :))) By the way, I forgot to mention that in UO when you choose a name, it can have spaces and the game doesn't care if there are others with the same name. So
amongst MMOs, this is a rare chance to put in a complete forename + surname. Titles I do not recommend putting in though since UO has a title system separately.

I hope to meet up with you in UO later tonight or this week, but if we don't get the chance, see if you can get yourself there on your own. Might be an adventure in itself
hehe! I've made a map for ya:

After you find your way to the northern part of Vesper city, follow these directions I made for when I used to have a castle on the same spot:

Btw, I haven't put any of the WoW wares on the vendors yet, but will be doing that soon. Have a look at the rooms in the upstairs part of the inn and see if you'd like to move into one of them.

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:57 pm 
Pryderic, hmmm I don't think there are game time cards :(

Odiun
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:24 pm 
I dont quite get the combat system yet and I died alot before I decided to play it safe and made a warrior. Anyway I should be on tonight, look for Ayvan Odiunsson :wink:

Board index » Discussion » Discussion: General Chat [public]