Vanija
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Guild Wars
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:14 am 
Hi

I just wanted to hear if any of you guys have any experience with Guild Wars (or are you all waiting for Guild Wars 2?).

I thought I'd check out what the atmosphere and gameplay is as I'm not necessarily too keen on the upcoming Panda invasion and thought I'd look around for something with a setting I could see myself play in (I'm not really into the Star Wars franchise.....or space-shenanigans in general either).

Can you recommend it and what are your views on it?

Lyrael

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Guild Wars
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:55 am 
I never actually played Guild Wars, even if I actually considered to play it, since I am looking forward to Guild Wars 2 with an almost pathological expectation :lol:
What's stopped me to do that so far was the consideration that Guild Wars 2 will be very different from the previous release (but they will indeed share the same Lore, GW2 will just happen some centuries later). The main difference, above all, is that GW2 will be a full-fledged MMO, while GW was mostly just a multiplayer cooperative RPG, where most of the action happened in instanced areas (open to cooperation with others, but not the same land shared between everyone).

Here you can find a quite interesting videoreview which was recently made to the game by the MMORPG.com website (a nice source for all those who are interested in the genre) and that presents a summary of the various aspects of the game:
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/82/feature/5528

Here you can download and play the game for free:
http://www.guildwars.com/freetrial/
This is Vanilla Version. The expansions can be bought for a reduced price in retail stores and on Steam.
The game has no subscription fee, anyway, and GW2 won't have a subcription fee as well, you just buy the game.

SWTOR (suspended)
Republic: Lyrael | Sith: Alesthes
WoW (suspended)
Horde: Azrael, Aenerys | Alliance: Eluthien, Anathiel

Vixis

Newcomer
Newcomer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:13 pm 
I played this for a while.... the visuals were stunning at the time and for a start it was enjoyable. However, I got stuck as you have to form teams to complete some of the missions and if you think some WOWplayers can be pains, GW players are far, far worse. Because there is no monthly fee, it attracts a lot of children with the patience of a gnat. It is neigh on impossible to advance solo because of the design of the game and I found many of the missions too difficult and frustrating.
verdict OK to dabble but does ya head in long term!

Razariel
Rank 6
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:50 pm 
I played GW for a couple of years from ~ 2007 - 2009, so my experience is a bit out of date. I hugely enjoyed it at the time (in fact, it's what got me into gaming), but I would echo what Vixis said - there were a lot of idiots around. On the other hand, there were also a lot of great folk, and as everybody plays on the same server, you have an even chance of encountering either. :)

When I played it was possible to solo with the help of your Hero NPCs. It could be a bit tricky, but was doable. Back in the day there also some great guilds around - I'd suggest checking out the GWOnline forums to get a feel.

I don't think I'll go back to GW now, but I'll definitely buy a copy of GW2 when it comes out.

Board index » Discussion » Discussion: General Chat [public]