Board index » Discussion » Discussion: General Chat [public]

Naohe
Alliance Matron
<The Elders>

Artisan Scribe
Artisan Scribe
 Post subject: Random thoughts and observations
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:16 am 
Feel free to use this thread for as the subject states; random thoughts and observations. Kinda like the Elders Twitter. Here are mine right now:

- Going on a weekend pickup raid for old content with random people is oddly satisfying. Just went to Black Temple which I've never been to before, just aoeing without a care in the world and not worrying about strat or caution with some other 85's. There's no risk of a wipe. Recommended.

- There's this classical feel-good piece by Johann Pachelbel called Canon in D major. I have heard this before but I can't figure out where. Movie? TV show? Computer game? It's a great piece, does someone know where it has been used in popular culture, I guess?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Af372EQLck

Sull
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Random thoughts and observations
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:29 am 
I absolutely love that peice it is a real feel good moment. I could be wrong but wasn't it in the movie Soilent Green, near the end when one of the characters chooses to die?

Lyrael

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:58 am 
- I entirely agree with the first suggestion. I did it myself on one weekend, and I had a chance both at Black Temple and Sunwell Plateau. It's a great way to see rich lore content that you may have missed because it was reserved for raiding people.

- About Pachebel in games, you made me remember this version of that Canon used in an old Amiga strategy game called Utopia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aam77g3Sn1Y
It's amazing how you can really find any sort of old things on YouTube... *snif* Good old times...

SWTOR (suspended)
Republic: Lyrael | Sith: Alesthes
WoW (suspended)
Horde: Azrael, Aenerys | Alliance: Eluthien, Anathiel

Naohe
Alliance Matron
<The Elders>

Artisan Scribe
Artisan Scribe
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:22 am 
Random thought: heroics are getting easier, random heroics that is. People are becoming more familiar with them so it's easier to get away with sucking like me. Maybe it's the random group buff also. People seem more patient now, I did three tonight and they were all fun. I even had 4, count them, 4 wipes on Ozruk in Stonecore. People were new to him in heroic but they kept trying rather than just leaving. I loved that, reminded me of my EQ days.

For the Alliance! (I feel obliged to end my posts with this since everyone is going to the dark side recently, it gets lonely here people!)

Naohe
Alliance Matron
<The Elders>

Artisan Scribe
Artisan Scribe
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:47 am 
Random thought: the Inception soundtrack by Hans Zimmer is absolutely fantastic, as is the Social Network soundtrack for which Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross won an Oscar. But, even though I'm a NIN fan and I've listened to them for years, Hans Zimmer should have won. It's hard to explain, his music just fits the movie perfectly, it's got that grandiose that it needs and it's just masterfully engineered. Just listen!

I also just started listening to the soundtrack to the movie the Fountain by Mogwai and Clint Mansell. That sounded good too. It seems like movie soundtracks are becoming more modern, they're still classical sounding because people relate to that in a sense, things are more...substantial with classical undertones, but they're mixing it with other genres...post-rock in the case of Mogwai, industrial electronics (I just made that up) in the case of Trent Reznor.

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:25 pm 
Nice idea for a thread Naohe!

Some comments and then ramblings of my own.

Doing baby raids at high levels:
Lovely stuff, and no wonder it's satisfying since it's a concrete result of all the hard work one has put into the character. 5 months ago those same mobs killed me like flies, now I kill them.

Canon in D major:
I just woke up, so putting this to play was the perfect way to start the day. As for your question, I think this is just one of those famous classical classics that we have all heard one way or another.

Random heroics: I'm glad to hear that! When Cata came out both the people and the heroic experience was terribly stressful!

Alliance Situation:
I know. *sighs* Not that I am doing much to help that since I spend considerably more time on the horde side. I was hoping the guild recruitment tool would remedy the situation, but the amount of applications we get compared to horde side is minimal. On horde I can log on every day to find one or two new applications, on alliance it's one or two per week. But it's not a matter of the player count though. I once counted how many players in our guild had alts on both sides and it was over 90%. This means that we all have the allies but just simply prefer the horde side. But why is that? Here's one analysis:

Alliance races are by character much more snooty, proper, well dressed, well educated and well mannered. Horde is "the wild side", allowed to be a bit rough on the edges, allowed to grunt and say the wrong thing. So what does this mean for roleplay? That to be a street credible alliance, the expectation is to have a well put together RP outfit, to walk slowly and gallantly through the streets, to be vigilant in what people are saying and how they are emoting to you, to say something wonderfully whimsy or wise if someone opens a conversation. For the horde, you're not judged on your attire since who would expect a well dressed orc anyhow? No IC manners are expected so it's more socially acceptable to run around town, you don't really need to stress about how you respond since it doesn't have to be perfect grammar and the thoughts coming out of your head are not expected to be that bright anyhow. In general, all flaws are more forgiven than on the alliance side.

Then when you look at what our particular guild is all about, what kind of people it lures - you find a match. Folks who want to log on without stress, without having to be too focused.

Of course the blood elves are a bit of an exception since they're the worst divas there are, however since it's only one race out of several it doesn't make much impact on a whole.

I was kind of hoping that the introduction of worgens to alliance side would "rough it up a bit". But what!! You see worgens strutting about with their top hats, just as snooty as the rest of them, so no luck there.

On soundtracks:
As a NIN fan myself, yes I also loved the soundtrack for Social Network, but gee I think I need to listen to the Inception soundtrack. I've liked a lot of Zimmer's work from other films, just wasn't paying attention to it in Inception because I was so focused on the visuals. *puts it to play in Spotify*

And yeah glad to see Soundtracks getting more diverse. One of my favourites is for Danny the Dog by Massive Attack. Give it a listen if you haven't already. Will have to listen to the Fountain as well.

Arawn
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:55 pm 
Ah yes, but the Worgen have the worst fake cockney accent since Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins so they do not come accross as haughty at all to me ...

... though the story and dress does not really suggest a nation of East-End market traders, lovable rogues and gangsters ... apologies to any born within the sound of Bow Bells for that shameless stereotyping :) ... though I guess if you were, and were going to take offence at anything, it would be at the dreadful fake accent :)

As for Belfs they have an equally funny snooty English accent so yes, I had always seen them as stuck up as hell. Arawn (in his early Belfy days) had a hilarious conversation with another Belf that ran like a slightly camp version of two half-drunk retired officers (if that's possible) chatting in their Gentleman's Club. Don't know if you have seen the Fast Show's Rowley Birkin QC (very drunk) but a bit like that. Well, we thought it was funny anyway ... completely wound up the Orc hunter in the party whose dress sense, manners, accent we were constantly critiquing as he was trying to dps ...

Also, I'd always seen Dwarves as being rather rough and ready, in a good no-nonsense way and not stuck up or formal either.

Guess it's my rambling way of saying that I'd never seen the horde/alliance divide along quite those lines :)

Lahu
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:17 pm 
Arawn wrote:
Also, I'd always seen Dwarves as being rather rough and ready, in a good no-nonsense way and not stuck up or formal either.

I agree. Also, many humans do not care for formalities either, in my experience they're very diverse, a bit like in RL. I've RP'd with night elves who are hunters or rogues etc. and although they have the utmost respect for Elune and Kal'dorei culture, they don't care much about (especially foreign) formalities and will kill an enemy without a second thought. Other night elves (probably most) are more reserved and will try not to offend. In my experience gnomes have usually more freedom in roleplaying because their inherent eccentricity allows for that. As for draenei: my main is quite the lady but I also play a male paladin with a major ego, who assumes he can take control of every situation and frequently ruffles some feathers because of that.

TL;DR: I think Alliance races have a lot of variety and there are many opportunities where you don't have to conform much to proper cultural conventions, and have much freedom to express your character. I do agree that on the whole, Horde is more rough and wild with much room for deviation.

Main Alliance character Laemadae on Argent Dawn

Board index » Discussion » Discussion: General Chat [public]