Board index » Discussion » Discussion: General Chat [public]

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
 Post subject: IMPORTANT: Changes to guild bank and ranks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:58 am 
As we were discussing in another thread, many people have been getting their WoW accounts hacked. I'm sad to say Dalilla was hacked yesterday as well. Here's what The Hacker did when they were logged on with her character:

The same theme was repeated on other bank tabs in varying degrees. And as painful as it is to see this image (it must be especially painful for Dalilla!), it still serves as a stiff wake up call to all of us. Any of us could get hacked, and being net savvy and careful with computer and Internet security just isn't enough anymore these days. The hackers have caught up and finally outsmarted us with scripts they embed into advertisement banners for instance. Banners we don't even click!!! The scripts install so called "keyloggers" onto our machines that record every single key press we do. Thus, no matter how fancy our password is, keyloggers know every letter, every number. The nasty thing is that even the best virus protection programs cannot detect most keyloggers. Scary huh?

Thankfully Dalilla soon realized what was going on and took steps to get her account back, then contacted a GM who has returned all the stolen items, and as you can see from the screenshot I've put them back into the bank.

This was now the third time that a hacker has used one our members as a tool to steal stuff from our bank and it has forced me to do something I didn't want to do, but am now forced to.

Ranks and permissions have been changed

Ranks and how much they can take out of the guild bank, have been changed in the following way. The totals are all 7 bank tabs added up:

Newcomer
Before: 5 items/tab/day = 35 items per day
Now: 1 item/tab/day = 7 items per day

Matron
Before: 10 items/tab/day = 70 items per day

Patron
Before: 10 items/tab/day = 70 items per day

In addition, we now have 2 new ranks which have identical names but have completely different permissions:

Matron
Requires: Authenticator
20 items/tab/day = 140 items per day

Patron
Requires: Authenticator
20 items/tab/day = 140 items per day

Authenticator people now have a new rank

I have gone through the process of moving all characters that have authenticator (and I was amazed to see how many of you already have it!) to these new ranks. The rest of you are in your old ranks and haven't been moved anywhere, however remember that your old rank has now been adjusted to only take out 1 item/tab/day.

What do I need to do?

These changes require no action on your part if you are happy with the 1 item/tab/day limit and for instance rarely even take anything out.

But for those who are more active users of the bank, you'll have to get authenticator to do so. Which is not a bad idea considering that your WoW account will become safe from hackers.

This is the only change to these ranks. So things like inviting, changing MOTD, changing notes, making calendar events etc are all exactly like they used to be, and are identical for the new ranks as well. This change is only to keep our guild banks secure.

Let me also make it very clear that if you do not wish to / cannot get an authenticator for whatever reason, that is absolutely fine and completely your own business. I am not expecting or requiring members to get authenticator, although as a fellow player I do recommend it for your own safety!

Authenticator good:
- Your WoW account will be 99.9% safe from hackers
- You will feel safe playing the game and avoid feeling paranoid
- You will get a free minipet
- You will be able to use our guild bank with a high daily limit

Authenticator bad:
- It's a pain in the butt to have to log on with it
- It sometimes it gets messed up when there are expansions which force you to remove and re-add it
- Its a pain if many members of the family use the same account, especially if your authenticator is mobile and you don't want to give the kids your phone.
- If you use the mobile one, you will need to remove it from your account before changing to a new phone, or else you won't be able to get back into your account!

So how do I get Authenticator?
Log into your account settings and look for "Security Options", you'll find the authenticator stuff there.

Mobile or hand held gadget version?
Well the mobile one you can get up and and running in 10 minutes and it hardly costs anything. The plastic one is often out of stock and takes a while to get to you, also costs more. But at least then you won't have it dependant on your phone, so if you go somewhere with your phone, the wife/hubby/kids can still play WoW at home.

Can I remove Authenticator from my account if I decide it's too much of a pain?
Yes, at any time.

WoW sure is a risky game to play, so many people get hacked! I've been considering trying another MMO...
Actually it's just the very opposite. WoW is probably the most secure game you can play because your possibility to get an Authenticator. Remember that Keyloggers do only one thing: They record the text you write. So as you were happily entering your fancy cryptic password for Lotro, or Age of Conan - the hacker would be able to hack those accounts and sure, you could reset your password, you could get a scanner that detects keyloggers and you could get back into the game, but every login after that would keep you stressed and wondering whether a keylogger lay in hiding again. And indeed, "lay in hiding", because sometimes they will log your password and make their attack much later, once you already shut the account! So what happens in the case of WoW if you have an authenticator? Well they saw the password you entered anyhow, but they didn't see the authenticator and are stopped right in their tracks. Remember that after you bind an authenticator to your account, you will be required to use it also logging onto your account management on the web. So the hacker will not even be able to log on and change your password. The Authenticator truly makes WoW the safest MMO you could play.

Ok I got the Authenticator, now can you promote me to the Auth-only-rank?
Blizzard has a security mechanism in place that prevents me from promoting you until you've had it for 72 hours.

I've had Authenticator for months, so why can't you still promote my character?
Most likely because you have not logged on with him/her after I changed the settings. Log on and the character should refresh itself.

I've logged on and you are still not able to promote me!
At this point we'll try removing and re-adding you to the guild. And if that doesn't work, we'll make a ticket to a GM.

See the conversation I had with a GM tonight on this subject:

And here is a thread full of complaints about this same bug:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1074088614

WoW:
Horde: Brambline [GM], Jezaline, Brula, Gruzie, Bita
Alliance: Lulai [GM], Shalestina, Felunia, Ferocia, Belaguine, Saphireena, Grunilla, Mitisa, Fasha, Ferabine

Robin69dr

Newcomer
Newcomer
 Post subject: Re: IMPORTANT: Changes to guild bank and ranks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:33 am 
Hey Bramb,

Thanks for the advice, I've been putting it off but you've convinced me.

I've ordered my authenticator.

Avoiding the stress of being hacked is probably worth the hassle of putting in another number to log in :?

Thanks again for looking out for us and the guild in general ^^

Grom

Tobin
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:58 am 
I actually thought the bank access with an authenticator thing was just a tick box. Tick it and only people with the device can withdraw stuff.

I have the physical authenticator and it's not really a big deal, though it means I can't log into the EU forums at work since I leave it at home. Using it has become such a habit that the recent changes to the game login screen have completely thrown me. I have months of muscle memory to overcome. I've had it for months without any trouble and I'm glad for the extra security.

SWTOR: Kallian, Jedi Consular

WoW (retired): Tobin: Forsaken mage, Khalgar: Tauren druid

@seanc2020

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:09 am 
Tobin wrote:
I actually thought the bank access with an authenticator thing was just a tick box. Tick it and only people with the device can withdraw stuff.

Yes it's a tick box. But not on the individual player settings, it's on the rank. But the tick box is greyed out if anyone already in that rank is without authenticator.

Lahu
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:25 pm 
Wow another one, it's unbelievable how many people get hacked these days. I think I'll also get one of the authenticators some time soon. Thanks for the trouble writing this up, Brambline.

Main Alliance character Laemadae on Argent Dawn

Sull
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:55 pm 
Just a heads up here, For those of us who have an Android mobile phone (like me) you can download the Battlenet Mobile authenticator free from the Android Market app on your mobile.

I downloaded it this morning and installed it without a problem. I did call Blizzard support to make sure it was the legitimate one and they walked me through setting it up, checking my account and the details I was entering from their end and they were ok with it.

Swayne
Alliance Patron
<The Elders>

Newcomer
Newcomer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:34 pm 
Hi all.

Firstly I do apologise for not playing wow for awhile. I am busy reinstalling the client now. :D

It really saddens me to hear that ppl are getting their accounts hacked. This truly is BS. I do have one suggestion
that seems to have worked well for me and my mates. I create a wordpad file on my desktop with my username and password. The reason I use wordpad is cause it reads the space character, therefore when you highlight a word like your password from right to left it will stop as soon as it sees a space.

Anyways I just copy and paste the password into the password box of wow. So how does this help. Well there is no keystroke and since there is no keystroke, keystroke loggers can't pickup what was pasted into your password box.

Is this a bullet proof method. In all honestly I do not know. The hackers are getting smarter everyday. What I do know is that if the trojan sitting in your pc is a pure Keylogger, then my method will work. However, hackers are smart and like the "Borg" in Star Trek, they will adapt.

Hope this helps. Of course the Authenticator is 100% safe, so by all meens get that. This method could however help you in other games that do not have authenticators. Also you can use this method when banking etc.

Zookni
Alliance Matron
<The Elders>

Artisan Scribe
Artisan Scribe
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:23 am 
Thanks for sending the GM ticket last night Bram.... from reading your post it looks like Jep's not alone with this authenticator issue.

Lets hope these security measures your taking for the Guild Bank finally stop those Hackers!

"The tricks I can do, are ever so clever"

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:10 pm 
I'd just like to remind everyone that if you have an authenticator, check the SERIAL NUMBER and WRITE IT DOWN on a piece of paper (do not save it on your computer).

What some of you may not be aware of, is that after getting the authenticator, your password has little meaning anymore, all they will care about if you call customer service, is your authenticator serial number. And if for some reason your authenticator stops working and as in the case of the mobile authenticator you need to uninstall the app and reinstall, you will be in a jam if you're not able to tell them that number.

The serial number can be found in the authenticator under Setup, it's at the top.

Sull
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:43 pm 
:shock: oops

Board index » Discussion » Discussion: General Chat [public]