Dalilla
Alliance Matron
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject: Ventrilo for both factions of our guild - sugestion
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:53 pm 
Hi friends,

I think it would be great to talk with you playing Horde while I play Alliance :) I would love to know you all better.

So I suggest we could make a ventrilo server for our guild, that will include ALL of us from both factions :)

Ventrilo ofers not only voice talking but also writen chat, so you do not need a microphone for it :)

Im not good at technical things so maby one of you could make ventrilo server for our guild??

Brambline what you think about it? Do you accept the idea??

Pryderic
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Ventrilo for both factions of our guild - sugestion
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:33 pm 
The only problem with Vent is the cost really and the chat doesnt work within game so to speak. There are lots of free alternatives but the one I'm using at the moment is called Raptr. It's a chat client that works within game. You just login to it and the Ctrl+Tab and you can surf the internet, chat with your friends in messenger and it even does little pop-up messages when someone sends you a message. This is my Raptr account : http://raptr.com/rigarmorty (It's recently had a great update that reduced memory footprint by something like 50 - 70 percent.

Tripellian (Troll Druid)

Alliance:
Erinthia (Draenei Shaman)

Pryderic is son of the exiled witch Rhiannon born and raised in The Dustwallow Marsh now resurrected.

Coaltar
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Expert Scribe
Expert Scribe
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:46 am 
Ventrilo and Teamspeak have an ongoing monthly cost and are more use for raiders than casuals. If you just wanted a cross-faction place to chat, the forum or an IRC room would be appropriate.

In addition voice chat, which you can certainly listen without a microphone, can be distracting for those with families or other halves in the same room as the computer.

Damkina
Initiate
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:47 pm 
I don't mind using vent/teamspeak/skype or similar. I even have a server running for cross server rl friends atm and my long distance bf who's yet to stay on The Sha'tar much, so I might be already preoccupied on a vent server if there were to be one for Elders. That said I do think there's a few that don't find it very appealing. It kind of does require a headset with or without a mic to avoid feedback from speakers and generally annoying other people in the house. And some are shy and some find it might break immersion or all of the above :D .

But yeah I don't mind voice coms personally :)

Pryderic
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:02 am 
I'm not always available for voice well, limited to specific times. I don't think Raptr has voice yet but you can like i said chat in game you just have to Ctrl-Tab to get in and out of it. Probably easier if I show you a picture. See attached: (The first is Raptr's normal without Wow running and then the 2nd is the interface in game (you can't do any actions when your Ctrl Tab'd into it but you can still see the game and then Ctrl+Tab out if you get attacked or in between messages..
Attachments:
RAPTR in Game.jpg
RAPTR in Game.jpg [ 87.97 KiB | Viewed 3738 times ]
Raptr Normal.jpg
Raptr Normal.jpg [ 110.66 KiB | Viewed 3735 times ]

Tripellian (Troll Druid)

Alliance:

Pryderic is son of the exiled witch Rhiannon born and raised in The Dustwallow Marsh now resurrected.

Lahu
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:02 pm 
I think voice chat could be lots of fun while questing or instancing, however I think with RP it will totally break the immersion except if you're a talented voice actor who happens to sound a bit like the character you're playing. With general chat it might work although it will exclude those who choose not to use it (if they just want to type instead). Hopefully in a few years technology will be sufficiently advanced so that voices can be converted to text quickly and accurately so that this is not a problem 8)

Going off on a tangent but I'm also looking forward to the improvement of AI to such a degree that you can RP with an NPC and not realize it's not a human!

Main Alliance character Laemadae on Argent Dawn

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:46 pm 
This topic has come up a couple of times before but there are a couple of strong reasons against such an option:

1) Equality amongst members
Some people like to use voice chat, others don't for whatever reason (some of which have been pointed out here already). If we had a voice chat system set up, this would mean that part of the guild would be having conversations that others don't know about and would result in "clics" forming which is the last thing I want to see happen in this guild. It would also be irritating when the Vent people would throw some comments once in a while in guild chat that pertain to something that was said in Vent, and you'd have this repeated situation of others asking "What are you talking about?" and Vent people saying "Oh sorry yeah, it was something we were talking about in vent".

Textual chat keeps us all equal and on the same level.

2) Cost
It has a monthly fee which I am not prepared to pay. I already pay for our guild site so we don't have to have banners and ads on here, and that added to my wow accounts - well it's enough money dished out for this hobby.

3) Conflict with the roleplaying atmosphere
Voice chats work better on non-roleplaying servers because there is no immersion and atmosphere that is at risk of being broken. Voice chat would have a negative effect on the roleplaying aspect of game play, as some of you pointed out.

I would like to say that I don't hate voice chat though, I think it's very handy when raiding and also for a group of friends who already know one another.

Dalilla
Alliance Matron
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:09 am 
I understand your point well friends.
You are right - voice chat is not a good option for RP realm and ppl with families. I must admit I didn't know about ventrilo costs.

Still I would like a cross faction text chat. Like the one Pryderic suggested.
Only that using alt+tab thing bothers me a little, I do quest alot and Im affraid I would not swich from writen conversation back to WoW again and I would often get killed. Thow Raptr is a thing I might try using if others in guild would like :) If I understood it right Raptr is for free?

Anyway from your replies I assume not many are interested or supporting the idea of such typed cross faction chat?

Brambline you are not liking this idea?
I dont want to do any thing against guild rulles or habbits so if your answer is definately no - I will consider this topic closed.

Best Regards
Dalilla

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:58 am 
If there were some way that we could do it in WoW "officially" (which would mean that it would be accessible to everyone without the need for people to register at 3rd party sites etc), then it would be a dream come true. (and I could run just 1 wow client instead of 2!)

There's nothing more I'd like than for both sides to be able to all chat as one big happy family.

However, anything that takes us outside of WoW is a bad thing. Even if it's textual chat. Again, we'd end up with "insiders" and "outsiders", those who are chatting together "in another place" and those who are only using guild chat and being left out.

Not to mention that if part of the people started using some out-of-WoW chat together, what would happen to guild chat in game? It'd become much more quiet and feel much lonlier for those "left behind" who for whatever reason did not or could not take part.

Another point is that some people can only play full screen (instead of windowed) because of lag issues, and alt tabbing crashes their client, so for them to "check something out" outside of WoW requires them to actually shut wow, go check, then start up wow again. There are not many like this, but there are a few.

Dalilla I really appreciate the initiative and wanting to help to improve our guild life, so while I recommend we close this particular topic, please do feel free to voice any other ideas in the future. You have good suggestions! For those who don't know, it's thanks to Dalilla that we got going with the whole guild house thing :-).

Noggin
Alliance Patron
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:52 am 
They are planning on revamping the official in-game voice com as well as enhancing the chat soon. So I guess it'll come all in good time.

Lahu
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:14 pm 
There is of course Real ID but we can't expect everybody to make their email addresses known to all other members, I think you can create conversations between more than two people but you have to add everyone separately and such. So it would be nice if there was an implementation for cross-faction chat between guilds that share a significant amount of accounts (i.e. if many players have toons in both guilds, or at least the guild master and some officers).

It is of course possible for every member to create a WoW only email address and let everybody chat on MSN or such, but as Brambline said above, alt tabbing is a problem for some (and it would be for me as well). So what would be nice is if there was an add-on that could integrate a chat app in-game with as little hassle as possible.

Just my thoughts on it, I know it's topic closed so I'll shut up now. :wink:

Main Alliance character Laemadae on Argent Dawn

Pryderic
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:27 pm 
I know topic is closed but just to say that Raptr is free. I'm sure blizzard will figure out something in coming patches or atleast allow us to create a cross faction channel :)

Tripellian (Troll Druid)

Alliance:

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:48 pm 
Guys we can continue discussion, I just was a bit unclear when I said "topic closed", I just meant to indicate that "Let's not pursue the Vent option anymore", but feel free to keep discussing otherwise ! :)

Nikina
Initiate
<The Elders>

Master Scribe
Master Scribe
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:52 pm 
Lahu wrote:
There is of course Real ID but we can't expect everybody to make their email addresses known to all other members, I think you can create conversations between more than two people but you have to add everyone separately and such. So it would be nice if there was an implementation for cross-faction chat between guilds that share a significant amount of accounts (i.e. if many players have toons in both guilds, or at least the guild master and some officers).

It is of course possible for every member to create a WoW only email address and let everybody chat on MSN or such, but as Brambline said above, alt tabbing is a problem for some (and it would be for me as well). So what would be nice is if there was an add-on that could integrate a chat app in-game with as little hassle as possible.

Just my thoughts on it, I know it's topic closed so I'll shut up now. :wink:

I think with real ID, is you can only have 5 people signed on your list ( or it was capped at 5 when it first came out) which is a shame because its a great system that i use a lot chatting to wow friends cross faction/server

with regards to the vent/ts option, i used to use it a lot when i raided, but like posters have said it does tend to split a guild (those who use it and those who don't)

hopefully blizzard will come up with a solution, but i somehow think they'd be against cross faction chat for some reason

Robley: forsaken priest
Zwee: goblin warlock
Tweeble: gnome rogue
Zweeble:gnome mage

Pryderic
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:18 pm 
I've been doing some digging into possible group guilds chat and had heard on a show the other day about two addons. One is GreenWall and the 2nd which is more impressive is CrossGuildChat http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... at_lk.aspx Basically it works by the GM syncing using a link that is sent from one guild to another. There are a few out there like this seems to be the more comprehensive. Can you tell I'm bored on my lunch? :)

Tripellian (Troll Druid)

Alliance:

Board index » Discussion » Discussion: General Chat [public]