View unanswered posts | View active topics All times are UTC + 1 hour
Board index » Discussion » Discussion: General Chat [public]

Nanorider

Master Scribe
Master Scribe
 Post subject: The Wacky and Wonderful World of Webcomics
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:16 pm 
Hi everyone.

Since we all met through a game that is played online it occurred to me that maybe some of us also share another thing that's enjoyed online: Webcomics.

I've read comics all my life, and I've forked lots of money over the counter for my favourites through the years. But, and this is a serious but, comics cost money! And since money, or rather a lack of it, often is what keeps me from acquiring more of the stuff, I've found myself turning more and more to webcomics. Why you might ask? They're free, that's why! :D

There are lots and lots of delightful webcomics out there on the net just waiting to be read. They are so immensely diverse, that there's simply a comic for everyone. There are "ha ha"-funny comics that offer a gag a day, there are some who tackle difficult relationship issues while keeping the tongue firmly in the cheek and some provide non-stop action. Others offer to take you on sweeping quests with fantasy heroes and heroines, while some comics are serious commentaries to our modern day world.

I've decided to share with you a tiny bit of what the net has to offer comics-wise. I've compiled a list of the comics I enjoy the most together with some of those that I have heard a lot of good things about but haven't found time to read - yet.

I'll start with one of my old favourites: Phil and Kaja Foglio. They have four really well drawn, well narrated and hilariously funny comics on their site http://www.airshipentertainment.com/.

- Girl Genius: Is steam punk when at it's best.
Takes place in 19th century Europa in an alternate universe. The unlikely heroine Agatha suddenly finds herself being chased by various factions all seemingly bent on her destruction. Why? Read it and find out! Has won three WCCA 2008 awards. Ongoing.

- Buck Godot: Sci-fi action/comedy.
Buck Rogers meets Dick Tracy while smoking weed. Lots of bar fights, strange and silly looking aliens and lots and lots of witty and clever dialogue (Phil Foglio's trademark). A must for sci-fi fans! Concluded.

- Myth Adventures: High fantasy.
Based upon the novels of Robert Asprin and adapted by Phil Foglio. Skeeve is the apprentice of the wizard Garkin. Garkin is suddenly murdered and Skeeve teams up with a very, very unusual "person" to find his old mentor's killer. Concluded.

- What's New: Comedy.
A strip that once ran in the popular american RP-magazine Dragon Magazine. It satirises over various topics in role playing games and board games. Lots and lots of hilarious in-jokes for gaming geeks. Expect breaks in the forth wall frequently. The grand daddy of Dark Legacy Comics and others in that genre. Concluded.

That's what Airship Entertainment had to offer. Now let's go on to the rest:

Schlock Mercenary: Comic Space Opera.
Sci-fi at it's most witty, odd and suspense-ridden I've seen yet. Howard Taylor has published a strip almost every day since sometime in 1998! The development in drawing style is very typical for many webcomics. In the beginning it's very crude, but time, training and tenacity on behalf on the artist pays off and today it's arguably one of the webcomics with the neatest and crispiest styles out there. Go read now! Seriously! :D
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/

The Order of The Stick: High Fantasy/Dungeons and Dragons (3rd Ed.) parody.
Follow our heroes fight the evil lich Xykon, while they along the way battle scores of evil minions, bad saving throws and the excruciatingly bad puns of their own bard. The fourth wall never took so much beating. Ongoing.
http://www.giantitp.com/Comics.html

Erfworld: Fantasy crossworlds thingy.
Gaming geek Parson Gotti gets summoned by magic to a fantasy world, where he's expected to be the "perfect warlord". Takes place in a world that's build like a war game. Lots of pop culture references. It started out on the same site as Order of the Stick, but later got its own site due to its success. Probably an acquired taste but I like it. :D Ongoing.
http://www.erfworld.com/

Sheldon: Gag-a-day plus longer story arcs.
Ten year old Sheldon invents a way that makes the internet go faster and makes millions in the process. He lives with his grand dad (called Gramp), who, despite Sheldon's millions, still make him brush his teeth every night, his dog Oso and his talking(!) duck Arthur. This comic confronts many of the everyday things we all have to deal with and turns these things upside down. Pug-lovers and coffee-addicts while find themselves at home here as will Calvin & Hobbes fans. :wink: Ongoing. (Home of the now famous "Cookie Flow Chart")
http://www.sheldoncomics.com/

Kevin and Kell: Anthropomorphic. (furry)
Kevin is a rabbit and Kell is a wolf. They're married. With kids. This comics takes place on an alternate Earth, where everyone are animals instead of humans. They face most of the same everyday problems that we do, except that diet is the main dividing point instead of race. Has been ongoing for ages. Actually I believe it to be one of the oldest webcomics in the world - certainly the longest running. Bill Holbrook started it in September 1995 and has been churning out strips of great quality - every single day(!) - ever since.
http://www.kevinandkell.com

Userfriendly: IT-humour.
This comic is about the small Canadian internet company Columbia Internet. Expect to encounter lot's of dry tech jokes, random insanity and cute fuzziness. Computer geeks look no further! This is the place for you. And if you have ever worked tech support, you can share your pain with Greg, the resident supporter.
To my knowledge it's the original it webcomic. Ran every day from November 1997 to June 2009. Reruns of older strips is now the order of the day, with the rare exception of a short new storyline. The forum is still very popular and you can be lucky to find some real gems of tech advice there.
http://www.userfriendly.org/

That's it for now, my fingers are getting tired from typing. :wink: Though I will continue to add more in the future.

You are more than welcome to add more webcomics. The more the merrier. :D

Alturos - Tauren Druid
Morglub - Orcish Hunter

Alliance:
Gnosher - Gnome Rogue
Fengar - Worgen Hunter
Alendhor - Nightelf Mage

Last edited by Nanorider on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vanija
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: The Wacky and Wonderful World of Webcomics
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:15 am 
Wonderful to see someone else who has discovered Userfriendly :D

I've had a few times where I've used a day or two just trawling through all their strips when I was feeling particularly down and they always seem to cheer me up - I love that strip.

Nanorider

Master Scribe
Master Scribe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:08 pm 
Yes, UF has always been one of my favourite comics. As a computer tech and former supporter I can't help but love it. :D

I'll continue with a few more of the webcomics I know:

Goblins: High Fantasy/Dungeons and Dragons (3rd Ed.) parody.
It's in the same genre as Order of the Stick but with a complete different agenda. (Hordies will LOVE this one) The heroes are goblins! You follow a band of ordinary goblin NPC's who get fed up with being Player Character fodder. One of them gets the bright idea that choosing a class and fighting back is the way to go. The rest is .... well, carnage. The comic is well-drawn with lots of hilarious references to D&D 3rd Ed. rules (just like Order o.t. Stick). However, if you're not overly fond of blood and gore this is not for you! This comic is very bloody at times, which is also stated by the author at the top of the site. Not for kids. The story is on the other hand very moving and while it's very funny at times, it also has its very dark and thought provoking moments with sadness and despair. Ongoing.
http://www.goblinscomic.com/

dead winter: Zombie horror.
You like zombies? Go read this! Lizzie is a waitress in your typical US city diner. Daily she puts up with bad tip, a cranky cook and annoying customers. Now she wishes that she was back in the old rut! In traditional zombie movie style someone somehow gets bitten by a zombie and suddenly the disease is running rampant through the city. The comic is held strictly in a very atmospheric black and white style with a few noticeable exceptions. Lizzie's bandanna for instance is kept in bright red as are a few other smaller objects. The author also once in a while uses the advantages that the 'net holds over traditional comics to some surprising and cool effects. Ongoing .... braaaiiinss!
http://deadwinter.cc/

Sandra and Woo: Humour/funny animal.
This comic from Germany is about the tween girl Sandra and her talking raccoon Woo. It's mostly very sweet and funny but sometimes deals with more serious issues. The style is neat and kept in traditional newspaper-like strips. Also available in German. Ongoing.
http://www.sandraandwoo.com

Two Lumps: Humour/funny animal.
Cat lovers' heaven. This is simply the ultimate comic for cat people - or so I've read. It's about two house cats that are anything but ordinary. Ebenezer and Snooch are for cats what Laurel and Hardy was for people. How better to prepare for world conquest than to study the puny humans by living with them as their pets? Only problem is that these puny humans are the ones that change the litter box and open the cans of gooshy food. Based on the authors' experiences with the real life Eben and Snooch. Ongoing.
http://twolumps.net/

El Goonish Shive (or simply EGS): In a league of its own.
The first word that comes to mind when I write this is "Weird". This comic is a mix of magic, teen angst, gender switching, aliens, monsters and some terribly hilarious jokes. This comic is absolutely not to be taken seriously. Why? It doesn't take itself very seriously. It started out mostly as a crudely drawn fun-for-the-heck-of-it comic, but has since matured into a very well-drawn and captivating story of a group of high schoolers trying to keep sane in a world, where magic is more and more intruding into their lives. Still very funny though. Ongoing.
(don't ask about the name)
http://www.egscomics.com/

Dark Legacy Comics: WoW parody.
I'm a newcomer to this one. I found a link to it in one of the threads on the forum, so most of you probably already know it. But for those of you who don't: this is a gem! There are so many extremely funny references to what WoW players encounter on a daily basis - and a good deal that we (thankfully) never will encounter - that this is a must read. Go read now! Come on, read. Scoot! Ongoing.
http://www.darklegacycomics.com/

Darths & Droids: Star Wars parody.
Any Star Wars fans present? Okay, you can all take your hands down now. This is basically a parody of the three first movies.....uhm....the three new movies.....damn it George, why did you have to shoot the three first ones last? It's a parody of Episodes 1-3! There!
Imagine for a moment, I know this might be hard, that the Star Wars movies never existed. Imagine then that George Lucas instead of making a movie series made his story into a role playing campaign. That's right! A group of role players play through the entirety of the first three movies with all the pitfalls and disasters this may entail. It's very cleverly done with speech bubbles set into screen captures taken directly from the movies. Also remember to read the notes below the comic. Sometimes they are even funnier than the comic itself. :lol: Ongoing.
http://www.darthsanddroids.net/

This is it for today, now it's time for some WoW! :wink:

Alturos - Tauren Druid
Morglub - Orcish Hunter

Alliance:
Gnosher - Gnome Rogue
Fengar - Worgen Hunter
Alendhor - Nightelf Mage

Last edited by Nanorider on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:49 am, edited 5 times in total.

Tom

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:31 pm 
I am a big fan of Errant Story http://www.errantstory.com/category/comics/errant-story - great plot, lots of twists, nicely dark yet funny and beautify artwork.

Eoin

Expert Scribe
Expert Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:02 pm 
Webcomics I approve of:
Homestuck - MS Paint Adventures
A different style of story telling on the interwebs, it's a huge story told mostly in chat logs, but it is an example of really tight pacing and story telling with quirky use of language and delivering some of the most severe emotional whiplash I've ever encountered in comic form.
Freak Angels
Warren Ellis is one of my favourite comic writers, his sour, sarcastic humour never gets old for me.
Digger
Just something a little bit special.

Time for a shameless plug on my part

I write for Minnie Gunn and the Gentlelady Thief.

It's currently on hiatus as the artist is a travelling arts teacher so she's often out and about at craft fairs and festivals spreading the good word of art to the less fortunate.

Ontoquas - tauren paladin

Alliance
Raeru - draenei hunter (cheeky)
Drefan - worgen rogue

Nanorider

Master Scribe
Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:55 pm 
Hi guys.

An old webcomic favourite of mine has come out of its hiatus lately and begun posting strips again.

I just read the latest strip and HAD to share it with you! :lol:
(don't worry about story continuity here - being a WoW player you'll get the point!)

http://www.inktank.com/blog/comic/inkta ... e-of-life/

Inktank: Written and drawn by Barry Smith. Black and white.

A semi-biographical comic about the author his work-life and family-life. There are also three other comics at the site all written and drawn by Barry. These include one about a hobby store (selling warhammer, comics and role playing games) called "Sorry, We're Open", one about a paint ball range called "Weak End Warriors" and one called "Angst Technology", which is about a software company that is quite out of the ordinary.

I can heartily recommend all these comics. I believe Barry's humour will suit the majority of Elders since he's a) a parent, b) as much a gamer as we are (re: just as geeky). Also the comics are well-drawn and safe for work....unless it's inopportune to laugh out loud every once in while. :wink:

....oh, did I mention he also plays WoW?

Alturos - Tauren Druid
Morglub - Orcish Hunter

Alliance:
Gnosher - Gnome Rogue
Fengar - Worgen Hunter
Alendhor - Nightelf Mage

Board index » Discussion » Discussion: General Chat [public]