It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:25 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics All times are UTC + 1 hour
Board index » Discussion » Discussion: Guides, Tips & Hints

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
 Post subject: Let's build a dream gaming computer together!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 pm 
So me and some of the Elders got to talking in guild chat about how CRAPPY my FPS is.

And by the way you can test your FPS in SWTOR by typing Ctrl + Shift + F. A number will appear in the lower left corner of the screen. Mine was a pathetic 13 FPS :(((. Apparently, if the number is green, the culprit is the VGA, if the number is red it's the CPU. I only have my work laptop so it figures.

Anyhow, we got to talking about how I should build my own machine. It's a scary thought since the last time I did that was in the mid 90's. I remember the basics and the physical side of it doesn't scare me, however knowing what parts to buy and making sure everything is compatible and that there are not bottlenecks DOES scare me.

Our elders encouraged me on, telling me it's easier these days than it ever was and started recommending parts. Mark then made a brilliant suggestion: that I post a doc about this here so that everyone can have a go at making recommendations. I thought it to be a great idea, since surely I'm not the only one who would love to have a better machine to enjoy SWTOR with.

So Elders (those of you who also need a better computer) let's build a dream machine together!

For those of you who know what parts to recommend, here is a list of what I'm assuming we will need:

Computer Case:

Motherboard:

Processor:

Hard Drive:

Cables:

Memory:

Video card:

Sound card:

Network card:

WoW:
Horde: Brambline [GM], Jezaline, Brula, Gruzie, Bita
Alliance: Lulai [GM], Shalestina, Felunia, Ferocia, Belaguine, Saphireena, Grunilla, Mitisa, Fasha, Ferabine

Theodomeus
Alliance Patron
<The Elders>

Artisan Scribe
Artisan Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Let's build a dream gaming computer together!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:25 am 
If I were to build a new PC, I'd most certainly go for one of these barebone cases:

http://www.shuttle.eu/products/mini-pc/sh61r4/overview/

http://www.youtube.com/v/fqfSPxLqvrU

That gives you the case, motherboard, cables and network all nicely packed together. As for the CPU, one of the mid-range i5 with 4 or 8 GB or memory should do.

Graphic cards are thousands around, but again a mid range card in the 100Euros range should be more than good enough.

HD is whatever, really, although the WD Green are very silent and nice in the ears (I can't stand HD noises!!)

Odiun
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:30 pm 
Here are some quick thoughts on this:

Computer Case: Cheap, large, and with at least 4 or more places for fans. Bigger is better for air flow. Those expensive flashy gaming cases are not worth the price imho and they look kinda ridiculos.
Also one of the most important components is the power supply i recommend Corsair with at least 600watts. U should also install some fans on the case, and look for the silent ones, they might be bit pricey but ull be happy that yer new pc doesnt sound like a beehive . When installing the fans u can make a dust filter out of some old nylon stockings that u can glue infront of the fans so O u wont have to vaccum the pc inside every week ;)

Motherboard: Pick one that can take for example i3,i5 and,i7 processors. That way if U start with i3 but the prices go down later for i7, u can simply upgrade yer PC to i7. If possible take a motherboard without integrated sound card (they are cheap and U can pick exactly what U need). Also the motherboard and the case should be compatible so that it fits.

Processor: Id recommend intel pentium i3 as its reliable and relatively cheap.

Hard Drive: here is mostly a matter of size and price, its not so important but check so that its compatible with motherboard and relatively fast.

Cables: they usually come with the parts, if not they are dirt cheap.

Memory: At least 4gb but more is better, and check that its compatible with motherboard. I use Corsair, besides the cool name they are really good :)

Video card: Thats the fun part. I have Radeon HD 5600, and it works just fine with swtor with allmost highest settings (after a bit tinkering). Anyway anything better than my card will be.. well, better. Again check compatibility with motherboard

Sound card: I use an old soundblaster that i took from my old pc. Its not that important unless U wanna have some kind of sorround system. But im a long time fan of Creative soundblaster cards.

Network card: Thats cheap, and not that important, might be also integrated in the motherboard allready.

Dvd-rom: Not that important, but pick something that has a name at least :)

Also install windows7 32bit, it takes less power and its not as prone to crash especially with older games.

Ummm... thats all I can think of atm, if U got any questions U know where to find me :wink:

Junfli
Initiate
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:15 pm 
Odiun wrote:
Memory: At least 4gb but more is better
[...]
Also install windows7 32bit, it takes less power and its not as prone to crash especially with older games.

Um, em, hey, a 32-bit OS can use only up to 4GB, so no point in getting more than that w/o going 64-bit.

Wolfhammer

Expert Scribe
Expert Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:51 pm 
Hey! ;)
To build a good gaming computer you need this at a fairly nice price:

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 - ATX / Intel P67 / DDR3 / 3xPCI-E / SATA 3.0 / USB 3.0 / Firewire

or go for SLI / X-fire build: ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Professional B3 - ATX / Intel P67 / DDR3 / 3xPCI-E / SATA 3.0 / USB 3.0 / Firewire (if this go for 2x460 gtx graphic cards instead of the 560 card).

Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 3,1GHz / 4MB / Socket 1155 (Boxed)

Hard Drive (optional use your old one): Samsung Spinpoint F3 250GB (7200RPM / 16MB Cache / SATA II)

Memory: DDR3 4Gb

Video card: Asus Geforce GTX 560 1GB (ENGTX560 DC/2DI/1GD5 ) - PCI-E /

OS: Windows 7 Home edition x86 32 bit (no need for 64 bit)

Character in Star Wars The Old republic
- Loirin (smuggler, gunslinger) - Elders
- Folin (Bounty Hunter) - The Elders

"I can resist everything... except temptation."

Vanija
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:41 pm 
I'm currently looking at upgrading to http://www.mm-vision.dk/produkter/vispcsystem.asp?action=vis&menu=computer&varenr=99113&type=pcsystem......only with the graphics card tuned down a bit.....I suspect it'll be able to carry my gaming needs for a 4-5 years with only an upgrade in the graphics department in 2-3 years or so:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2700K 4x3.50GHz (Turbo 3.90GHz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 motherboard (Nu med USB3.0 og SATA3)
Ram: Kingston HyperX 16 GB DDR3-1600 XMP Black X1 Special edition
Harddisk: Seagate 1000GB SATA3 6Gb/s 7200rpm Silent
Grafik: nVidia GeForce GTX560 1GB GDDR5 RAM PCI-E
Power supply: Raidmax RX-700AC Supersilent (80+ bronze certified)
Sound: 7.1 High Definition Audio (Dolby Home Theater)

...And now I'm drooling

Board index » Discussion » Discussion: Guides, Tips & Hints