Board index » Discussion » Discussion: Guides, Tips & Hints

Jeplin
Alliance Patron
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Character Inspirations and the RP that follows
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:58 pm 
After reading the fantastic Guide to RP posted by Brambline elsewhere on these forums,I thought I would do 'my bit' to help out other guildies who are interested in reading.

Character Inspirations

Its always best to have a clear idea of who you're character is when you're playing WOW.How does he/she act,what fears or phobias do they have.A love interest or two perhaps..the list is as endless as the sheer amount of traits that we all have in our 'real world'

Sometimes these traits develop as our character progress through levels and the Roleplay we do.
If you're lucky or inspired this can happen before you even create your character.
Below I'm going to give examples from several characters I've owned in the past with the intention of giving you folks some inspiration.

Lets start with Jeplin
Think of the idea of a mighty warrior..all musclebound right?A Conan type of character,cutting swathes through his enemies.A tall hulking Knight holding the line with just his sword and shield.
Now imagine having those attributes with someone who is barely 4 foot tall.This ludicrous thought of a Gnome holding the line,protecting his allies from creatures(most if not all bigger than him)was my inspiration to roll Jeplin as a Protection Warrior.
How does he do it was the next question.Its obvious from his stature that its not brute strength that enable Jeps to fulfill his role..rather its speed and his small size that enables him to dodge the attacks and infuriate his enemies.
And the main hook is..Jeplin knows this,of course he does.He knows that he can take on all comers regardless of their physical size.This in turn makes him cocky and a bit too sure of himself.
Hence the main blocks of his character and how he interacts with others are laid.

Glanwick
Sometimes inspiration can come from the most oddest of thoughts.When I started customising Glan on the creation screen I realised that he looked like the late British comedian Ronnie Barker.There was a show that run when I was a child called 'Open all Hours',where Ronnie played a tight fisted shopkeeper called Arkright,who with the aid of his lowly shop assistant Granville (played by David Jason)run a small convenience shop in the North of England.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_All_Hours
So after mashing up the names of the two central characters and taking traits from them aswell I managed to find myself with a tight fisted old Gnome with the uncanny ability to sell anything to any buyer,no matter how unwilling.

So just two examples with two different styles of creation,but with enough 'character' in them to build on and use in their RP.
So think about your characters faults,vices and abilities..take inspiration from characters from books or films you have seen.
Just don't go naming you're characters directly after them of course.
That would be silly!

WOW (Inactive)
Alliance------Jeplin.Murnagan,Tipween,Glanwick
Horde ------Glyne,Fostern

Jeplin
Alliance Patron
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Character Inspirations and the RP that follows
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:50 pm 
And the actions that follow
Now I'm not going to repeat what Bramb has wrote in her inspiring guide..haven't read it yet? Shame on you.Off you go,I'll be waiting.
So you've got your character,you've tailored its looks to an idea you've formed and you have a little backstory created.
Yes backstory..we all have them in our real lives,so why not your character.It doesn't have to be all fancy,in fact the more mundane the history of you're character the more epic you'll feel when greatness and history hangs on your every deed.
Beating Hogger doesn't count..
Right then..where do you live,where do you shop.Pick a city and claim it as your own.I don't mean by planting flags everywhere and invading the leather shop.
Walk around the cities,there are a few.Look for the areas where there are inns,shops etc.Pick an area,a sidestreet,a building.Pretend its yours(to yourself at first).
Yes..walk.
You don't run everywhere in reality(unless you're training for some Olympian event,though you can get away with it with Gnomes..you realise how small they're steps are?It would take an age even to get to the nearest well)
The most important rule is there's no rush in RP..saunter around the city.Walk into the auction house..try to park your flying mount in a convenient parking space.
People will notice these small events,who knows it might spark off RP with a random character.
This is good!
What does your character do for a living,what hobbies does it have?
If you fish constantly,claim a spot for yourself.Strike up a conversation with a fellow fisherman.
"Are the fish biting today..whats the biggest catch you've had?"
You're a Priest or Paladin of virtue?
Visit the Cathedral..or where the class trainers are.Heck even visit the infirmeries,orphanages.
There's plenty of options.
Pray,heal..take confessions if ya need to.
Get yourself involved

Thanks for reading,hope there's a few more ideas there for you.
Until next time.

WOW (Inactive)
Alliance------Jeplin.Murnagan,Tipween,Glanwick
Horde ------Glyne,Fostern

Amadaze
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Expert Scribe
Expert Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Character Inspirations and the RP that follows
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:02 pm 
Thanks for that - very useful insights.