It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:39 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics All times are UTC + 1 hour
Board index » Discussion » Discussion: Guides, Tips & Hints

Thuunkas

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject: Useful Add-ons
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:30 pm 
The thought struck me during guild chat last night, that there may be add-ons out there in use that might be useful for others who may have missed them, or, like myself are not too confident/computer-savvy/comfortable with 'modding' our game.

Anyway, I thought I'd list the (very) few I use and let others do the same here, if they want...

FlagRSP2 : Lets you add surnames, titles, and a little biography/description that other users can read.

ItemRack : Lets you make sets of gear that can change at the click of a button.

BankItems : Lets you see everything your current character has, and in the bank, and guild bank, and mailbox. Also, lets you see every other character's inventory too !

MapNotes : Allows you to add and send notes for the map.

TrinketMenu : A simple trinket-using tool.

Battleground Defender : Lets you shout warnings in BG chat when whatever base you're at is under attack, how many attacking, and when it's safe again.

Capping : Lets you publish to BG chat timers on base captures, etc.

Now, I know there's loads more out there , but, personally, I'm not a fan of having loads of these running, and also, I prefer stand-alone ones that aren't dependant on Atlas or Titan, or similiar.

All of the above I download from Curse, using manual download, and I must say I've never had problems installing/using them, which is saying a lot, given my reluctance to mess about with my game.

Anyway, that's my list - over to the rest of you.

Pancras
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:43 am 
Peggle and Bejeweled.
Auctionator.
Some simple co-ord addon I forget the name of.

I like to keep it light!

Zamarane
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 am 
Over time, I've tried many addons in WoW, from useful to useless ones. Some of them are worth mentioning though:

- Bartender4 and Button Facade: a default toolbars replacement. You can configure up to 12 toolbars and freely re-position and re-size them. Supports the vehicle mechanic.
- OmniCC: adds timers to various user interface elements (like toolbars).
- Power Auras Classic: displays visual clues when you gain buffs, debuffs, trinket procs etc.
- Rating Buster: converts combat ratings into percentages for better information when comparing different items, for example.
- Shadowed Unit Frames: a replacement for default unit frames, lightweight and very flexible. Can replace player, target, target's target, party, arena and raid unit frames.
- Satrina Buff Frame: a replacement for the default UI buffs/debuffs frame.
- TipTac: customizable tooltip, provides mouse-over info about enemies, players and items.

And a honorable mention: Automatic Goblin Therapist. It generates random responses to people who whisper you. Check http://dwarfpriest.com/2008/09/01/shenanigans/. :twisted:

Zamarane

Vanija
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:37 pm 
I use some of the above mentioned - in addition I find an addon called CooldownWatch very useful to help me manage my primary cooldowns.

And even after I've stopped raiding, I use Grid/Clique for fast and efficient overview and healing when running heroics.

Quartz is my castbar monitor of choice

Elkano buffbars is my buff/debuff monitor of choice

Damkina
Initiate
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:36 pm 
I was going to start off saying I don't use many addons but I guess it's inbetween not many and alot. It all depends :P

I use:

Auctioneer
X-perl UI/raid frames
HotCandy for my resto druid
Necrosis with dot timer for my Warlock
Pally Power for my Pally
BigWigs boss mods for the raid warnings
MyRoleplay for the rp :wink:
Ackis Recepie List to find out what recepies I'm missing and who sells them/drops them
Omen Threat Meter
Atlasloot Enhanced
Rankwatch (to keep track if I've learned all the ranks on my alts spells)

If I can though, I try and disable as many addons as possible on different chars depending on what I need at the time.

Thebe
Alliance Matron
<The Elders>

Newcomer
Newcomer
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:08 am 
Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but if you plan on doing more raiding (or even heroics), Deadly Boss Mobs (DBM) is a must have.

Lyrael

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: Useful Add-ons
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:49 pm 
To anyone who is quite seriously interested in Roleplaying, I point you to Total RP 2, a new RP addon which was released yesterday. It's an update to a pre-existing addon which so far wasn't as widespread as FlagRSP2 and MyRP because it was basically out for a long time just in French and with some bugs.

Now, the addon is dramatically wider in potential if compared to those we have at the moment and unifies different functions which so far required different addons to be run: RP tongues, player made items and player made chests, RPers using the addon visible on your minimap, super accurate character sheet, etc.
Naturally, all this functions are available only to the players who use the addon and unfortunately Total RP 2 doesn't interact with FlagRSP2 and MyRP. The good news is that you can use both your old RP addon and this new one, no problems should arise (I am testing this and it's going fine).

Addon Link: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... alrp2.aspx
Forum Link: http://forums.telkostrasz.be/forum-35.html

Also, if you are looking for a free and efficient levelling guide (both for new characters and Cataclysm levelling) I point you to WoW-Pro guides.
They developped an Addon which can be used in game and which will guide you step by step through the most smooth levelling flow in any area. I have used it for a long time and I have to say that it's very good. Quite impressive if you consider that lots of people actually pay to buy levelling guides which are hardly better than this one.

Site Link: http://www.wow-pro.com/ (There's also a short video presentation about the addon...)
Addon Link: http://wow-pro.com/addon

SWTOR (suspended)
Republic: Lyrael | Sith: Alesthes
WoW (suspended)
Horde: Azrael, Aenerys | Alliance: Eluthien, Anathiel

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:20 pm 
Thanks for the info Lyrael! I am definately checking those out! It's been a long time since I had a RP addon, but have lately been pining for it again. So this is just what the doctor ordered.

Eoin

Expert Scribe
Expert Scribe
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:48 pm 
About time I got a new rp add-on.

Ontoquas - tauren paladin

Alliance
Raeru - draenei hunter (cheeky)
Drefan - worgen rogue

Tom

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:41 pm 
If you are looking to organise and keep your addons up to date the Curse client http://www.curse.com/client/ from Curse.com http://www.curse.com/ is definitely worth getting. It also lets you save and share your UI settings.

They also offer a premium version which alows you to sync your addons and profiles between different machines - useful if you play WoW from more than one PC - and gives automatic addon sync and a backup for your addon settings for $30 / year.

Sull
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:49 am 
On thing I have not seen but I think is worth having is WoW Matrix, a little application that installs your addons and deleted them if you want for you, a must have IMO for those of us who are not so computer savy, it also searches the internet for updates for your add ons and can update them for you.
you can get it here: http://www.wowmatrix.com/ (It is safe I have used it for a few years and it has never broke my game (yet)

Jeplin
Alliance Patron
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:01 am 
Hi
I went years without using any type of add-on until I played a high level Rogue and I downloaded a timer bar..but anyways here's some I'm using now and I find them indispensible!

Tipween(priest)
Decursive
This comes up a a little grid 5 for party and scales up with raid.Whever someone has a magic debuff on them a chiming sound occurs and the square on the grid turns blue.If I right click on the grid it selects the player and auto casts Dispel Magic on them.When someone has a curse it chimes again and the square turns red.If I left click I auto cast Dispel Curse on them

Grid
A grid that that can show targets health buffs etc..it also scales up depending on party/raid size.I find it easier to put this on the bottom of my UI so I don't have to move my eyes all over the screen to check players health.You can also select targets just by clicking onto the grid.Easy to setup to show you what information you want on it.

Glyne
Quest completist

Need to do something silly like trying to go for the Loremaster or Seeker titles?
Simple addon that tracks the quests in the zone that you are in(or any zone that you choose),tells you what quests you have completed,what ones are left and more importantly the quest givers locations!

Coordinates
Show you coordinates on the main map and on top of your minimap.If I'm ever lost I skip over to http://www.wowhead.com/.
Type in the name of the quest ,NPC etc and usually someone who has been struggling before tells you what you need with coordinates aswell.
I have little hair left..this add-on stops me from pulling anymore out!

WOW (Inactive)
Alliance------Jeplin.Murnagan,Tipween,Glanwick
Horde ------Glyne,Fostern

Pryderic
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:36 am 
Dungeons MUST HAVE:

DeadlyBossMods : There's actually 2 of these. One detailing the current expansion and one for Lich king/TBC & Vanilla dungeons. If you search via Curse Client or on the Curse website for DeadlyBossMods the returned list will give you links for both. The web link is still the same. Useful as always!
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... -mods.aspx

Threat:

Omen Threat Metre - I've only recently started using this again. What's nice is that you can adjust the "Alpha" (Transperancy) which saves from having a bright square covering your view lol.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... meter.aspx

Castbar:

Quartz - I used to use this ages ago but never realized the benefit of it. If you unlock the bars via the menu ( /quartz ) you can move the bars around to where you want. What i love is that it also shows a mini bar above your cast bar for a particular effect (DOT spells for example) with it's own countdown.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... uartz.aspx

Cooldown timer:

OmniCC - Does cooldown numbers over your action bar icons and does this graphic display when they're off cooldown.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... ni-cc.aspx

Coordinate Addon:

Titan Panel - For coords and all sorts. Puts a small bar at the top of your screen which gives your coordinates, amount of money you have, number of items in your bags and all sorts. I'm still learning all the features. The Brilliant thing is that it also has a "auto-hide feature" if you don't want it showing all the time! Quite useful actually! (** Make sure it's "Titan Panel" and not "TitanPanel" the 2nd one is a zone related addon)
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... panel.aspx

Anyway... I keep meaning to run Arkinventory but I hear it's quite a memory consuming addon and my PCs ar a bit old. ;)

Tripellian (Troll Druid)

Alliance:
Erinthia (Draenei Shaman)

Pryderic is son of the exiled witch Rhiannon born and raised in The Dustwallow Marsh now resurrected.

Noggin
Alliance Patron
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:45 pm 
I'm using the Razor Naga wow addon for action bars. It's basically the same as bartender, cleans everything up and leaves my screen tidy.

Something that I have been using lately is a relatively unknown addon called OPie. It makes a radial dial menu, like in the old Neverwinter Nights game and in Left4Dead. before I started playing again I was really into Left4Dead. Anyway, I got rather addicted to that radial menu for emoting, so I looked up a simmilar menu for wow and luckily found this one.

It's very handy and basically means that you can put a number of spells on one button. I use it for costumes, emotes, long term buffs, utility spells (like water walking), professions, raid icons (you can put all the raid icons on one button. it's nice) and mounts. You can stack the circles... so I basically have all of these things on one button now.

Check it out at:
http://www.go-hero.net/opie/

Attached is a screenshot of how I have it setup on Noggin
Attachments:
File comment: Opie addon for Noggin
Noggin_wow_setup.jpg
Noggin_wow_setup.jpg [ 526.97 KiB | Viewed 1852 times ]

Pryderic
Rank 3
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34 pm 
I've been trialing a number of addons for my Enhancement Shaman. Shock And Awe what my initial one though it kept disabling itself and not working properly. The Flash Spell: Sham addon is ok but only flashes action bar buttons. My latest is TotemTimers which I this great and work checking out if your a shaman. http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... imers.aspx

Tripellian (Troll Druid)

Alliance:
Erinthia (Draenei Shaman)

Pryderic is son of the exiled witch Rhiannon born and raised in The Dustwallow Marsh now resurrected.

Board index » Discussion » Discussion: Guides, Tips & Hints