It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:36 am
View unanswered posts | View active topics All times are UTC + 1 hour
Board index » Other Games » Read more about the Elders in "Rift"

Lyrael

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: RIFT - Planes of Telara
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:58 am 
Since I was talking with Brambline about this new MMORPG and she suggested that I am probably not the only one in the guild playing it these days, I wanted to start a thread about it.

I am playing it on the Argent server (PvE-RP, just like The Sha'tar...) on Guardian side. If we see that a reasonable number of people are willing to try it out, Brambline game me the authorization to form a The Elders guild there as well (the minimum number is 5, if I remember correctly).

My characters are:
Alesthes (main)
Aenerys
Azyrael
Anathyel
I can't grant to be online there very often (as most people in this guild, I guess), but we can eventually arrange something.
I am also NOT quitting WoW, at least for some time. I have basically just a desire for some variety in games, at the moment. Problem is that I have far more games I would like to play at the moment than time to do it!

Anyway, if you want to have a decent and professional overview and review of Rift, I can point you out to the Gamespot review: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/rift-pla ... eview.html
You can also find plenty of other reviews on Metacritic and plenty of videos on Youtube.

That said, trying to offer a more personal take, I give you here a short list of pros and cons based on my playing experience. Consider that I play and love WoW since release and that I tried basically every "WoW-alternative" which came out in the last few years (Lineage II, LoTRO, D&D Online, Age of Conan, Aion) and this is actually the FIRST time that I find a game which I am really liking at least as much as WoW itself, giving me a hard time in deciding what I want to play.

Let's go to the list:

PROS:

- Up to date, wonderful graphics running pretty much as smooth as the outdated WoW engine on the same machine. I am posting some screenshots below: consider that I play on a laptop, even if a good laptop of course.
Music and sound are very good, even if maybe sometimes not as great as the WoW soundtrack.

- More flexible and free class system.
First, you can be any class combined with any race. Finally, I say. I honestly hate Blizzard deciding for me which combinations make sense and which not (I have still to see why a Tauren paladin should make more sense than a Night Elf Shaman...).
Second, basically when you create a character you choose a base class (Mage, Rogue, Cleric, Warrior) but then inside every base class you have a free choice between seven sub classes (called "Souls"), each with its own entire set of abilities, talents and specialization. This means that you can play a cleric and then be able to shift freely from being a magic ranged dps, a pure healer, a tank, a melee dps, a pet class, etc. By combining different sub-classes you can even choose to be a rogue healer who can go stealth (Bard - Assassin) or a healing mage who heals her group while dealing damage (Chloromancer - Pyromancer). You can change your role very easily, so that you can be a Warrior who fights with an animal pet in melee (Beast master - Champion) and seconds later shift to being a magical sword-wielder who can both get into melee or throw spells at range (Riftblade).
This flexibility is probably THE best part of the game so far to me. More power to the player, really.

- The "Rifts" and the "Invasions" events.
This basically means two things:
First, that the world is lively and interactive. From time to time (quite often, actually) within every area some spectacular dimensional "rifts" open in the sky and transform a plot of land with the properties of the elemental plane of that specific rift (they can be Air, Water, Fire, Earth, Life and Death). Creatures from that plane invade that area and, if you are willing to, you can join the fight until you destroy the rift.
Invasions are similar, but they are more like small armies which appear and move into the area, trying to siege cities and villages.
Second, and the even cooler part of this, is that to join this fight you don't need to be invited to a group nor you need to roll a dice to receive a final reward. You can freely join a "public group" which is authomatically formed with all those who are within that area and when the fight ends you receive a reward proportional to your effort and contribution. Nice and smooth.

- It's a new game.
New lore, new areas, new factions. Nothing specially innovative or unseen, of course, but if you are looking for something different you'll find plenty of content.

- It's familiar.
Gameplay, options, UI, quests: everything looks immensely familiar to a WoW player. You won't need much of an effort to get into playing it.

- It has a mobile authenticator.
Both on iPhone and Android.

CONS:

- It's not a free-to-play game!
The game costs almost 50 euros and it has a subscription fee exactly has WoW. Getting to play both games will cost a little, unfortunately.

- It's not groundbreaking.
While I see it as an "enhanced WoW" it's definitely not a revolutionary game. It just tries to do very well what WoW already does. Consequently, if you invested years in playing WoW (like me) the motivation to shift is dubious.
For this reason, I know that some people are rather waiting for something new like Star Wars The Old Republic.
Personally I am waiting even more for Guild Wars 2, which should come out later this year. If it really offers what they are showing in previews and articles, I think it could be revolutionary and awesome enough to make me leave WoW behind. But we'll see...

- It's not The Biggest MMORPG in the world like WoW.
WoW has lots of fansites, nice options, digital store goodies, blogs, videoblogs, machinimas, addons, podcasts, etc. That's a big part of the entertainment for me. It makes the whole experience of being a WoW player nice even when you just don't have the time to actually play the game.

- Last but not least: The Elders are a WoW guild!
While we might eventually be able to open a Rift guild has well, I am pretty sure that for the most part this wonderful and unparalled guild will stay essentially as a WoW guild for quite some time, and this is a good reason enough to keep a WoW subscription to me!

I attach some screenshots to give you an idea of how the game looks.

Attachment:
File comment: UI and general look of the game
Rift1.jpg
Rift1.jpg [ 332.28 KiB | Viewed 1702 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Look at those trees...
Rift2.jpg
Rift2.jpg [ 358.13 KiB | Viewed 1713 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Another character and some beautiful architecture...
Rift4.jpg
Rift4.jpg [ 217.83 KiB | Viewed 1698 times ]

SWTOR (suspended)
Republic: Lyrael | Sith: Alesthes
WoW (suspended)
Horde: Azrael, Aenerys | Alliance: Eluthien, Anathiel

Report this post
Lyrael

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject: Re: RIFT - Planes of Telara
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:00 am 
Attachment:
File comment: A Fire Rift opened in the middle of the Elven forest and I am now joining a Public Group to repel the invaders!
Rift3.jpg
Rift3.jpg [ 427.21 KiB | Viewed 1702 times ]

That's about it.
Feel free to ask questions if you are interested in knowing more!

Love,

Lyrael / Azrael / etc.

SWTOR (suspended)
WoW (suspended)

Report this post
Zamarane
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:53 am 
Nice write up Lyrael, it sums what Rift is very well. What makes it stand out are superb class/talent system and dynamic events like rifts and invasions. Mutliplayer non-instanced PvE content below the level cap is very rare in WoW; in Rift, it's plentiful. Raid bosses from level 10 all the way to 50? Yup. Too bad Trion don't build on this strength more, because at level cap, Rift becomes another instance/gear grind we know from WoW.

I play on the Defiant side, but the Guardian side on Argent is better as far as I know. Overall, the server is nice and people are friendly. Just get used to OOC chat because Trion have no specific rules for RP servers bar naming ones.

If you decide to form The Elders, I'd like to join with my Guardian alt Stanmore if possible. By the way, I think the name is already taken: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?169603-Guild-The-Elders-Argent.

Report this post

Naohe
Alliance Matron
<The Elders>

Artisan Scribe
Artisan Scribe
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:13 pm 
Thanks for the writeup :) What's the PvP like, optional or required? Is there a pvp on and off like in WoW? What about griefing, is that an issue?

Report this post
Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:06 pm 
Excellent post Lyrael! It almost makes me want to try playing it too because it sort of merges some things l like about Ultima Online (free choice in class and abilities, the rifts which were similar concepts to the Champion spawns of UO) and WoW. Ironically, these are also the worst sides for me - enhancing the feeling of "haven't I seen this before somewhere?". I guess that "same old" feeling should not be as bad for those WoW players who have never played UO.

Then again... one of the most wonderful things about starting a new MMO is... well the start! Those first magical days and weeks. Hell, I feel like trying it just to get that high again. :) We'll see.

Does the game have any trial versions? I couldn't see anything about that on the website.

WoW:
Horde: Brambline [GM], Jezaline, Brula, Gruzie, Bita
Alliance: Lulai [GM], Shalestina, Felunia, Ferocia, Belaguine, Saphireena, Grunilla, Mitisa, Fasha, Ferabine

Report this post
Lyrael

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:40 pm 
Let's see if I can answer the first questions.

Nahoe: PvP works pretty much as it works in WoW. There are PvP and PvE servers, so if you don't like being ganked (like I don't...) you can choose the RP-PvE server and find that the PvP mechanics are pretty much identical to how it works on The Sha'tar.
The game provides a set of instanced Battlegrounds like WoW does, with cross-server queues. Joining PvP activity on PvE servers is thus optional, even if the game is organized around a two-factions-at-war logic exactly as WoW does. Participating in PvP activities provides rewards both in terms of gear AND in terms of a special PvP soul (sub-class) which offers abilities and talents particularly aimed to PvP encounters. I have not much direct PvP experience so far, due to my characters being pretty low level.
To be honest I read around on some forums that due to the very open nature of classes and subclasses, the game will be very difficult to balance for the developers, and that's a reasonable objection I guess. Time will tell on this account.
In general, anyway, I haven't met particularly aggressive or annoying players so far, but that's just my experience.

Brambline: Unfortunately there's still no trial version so far, due to the game being pretty young and the developers trying to sell as much copies as possible. Maybe it will become available later. So far they just did some very limited offers like: you can play for free during next weekend if you register by friday... If I spot again a similar offer I will point it out here...

SWTOR (suspended)
WoW (suspended)

Report this post

Damkina
Initiate
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:05 am 
I've been playing Rift off and on since release with some friends from Warhammer. Unfortunately them being more of the PvP type they chose a PvP server which is alright so far. I haven't been ganked that much.

But a week or so in to playing my account was hacked. There was no breach in my security and seeing how they responded to it, it seems it was a breach at their end. They introduced a coin lock system straight after many including me were hacked over a weekend. Though being very customer friendly, that many pleople being comprimised at once, meant they weren't able to deal with my account for 14 days (did give me 1 month free play time to make up for it). But all in all it kind of took the fun away from checking out a new game for me. By now people are being very much like in wow expecting players to know everything and have the "right" souls. I hope this is down to it being a normal pvp server and that it's better on the Rp one.

So it's a good game and very pretty but I need to find the spark back to start playing it again. Maybe I'll check out the RP server. Oh yeah and love the dwarf models :D

Report this post
Zamarane
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:17 pm 
There's seven-day trial actually, via Ascend a Friend. If you're interested in trying Rift out, click:

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/ascend-a-friend/invite.php?voucher=EMZKHYR3RPCCW9ZQZYM6&utm_source=manual&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ascend_invite

Edit: looks like Recruit-A-Friend from WoW.

Report this post
Lyrael

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:19 pm 
Nice catch there, Zamarane!

Obviously I am more than happy to offer an invitation to anyone in the guild as well!

You can click my link here:

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/asc ... end_invite

SWTOR (suspended)
WoW (suspended)

Report this post

Damkina
Initiate
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:37 pm 
Just made a couple of characters on Argent. You can look for Izlia or Jusda on Guardian side or Koltari on Defiant. I have no idea how much I'll be playing though :)

Report this post
Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:28 pm 
I also went and bought the game and rolled a character on Argent, and also don't know how much I'll be playing but here are my first reactions after about 3 hours total game play.

Cons:
- My machine is pretty bad I guess since it put the lowest graphical settings for me. At these settings the visuals are extremely dark and there is a high contrast that makes this game hard to look at physically. Raising the game's gamma only makes the contrast worst. It was the same thing in Age of Conan. I find myself missing the soft and gentle light of WoW as well as the big chunky look and feel. Things feel more.... "manageable" for some reason in WoW. The darkness and contrast in Rift is the biggest downfall for me personally so far.

- I miss point to click. It's so handy to just right click something in WoW and your character will run to and either open, pick or attack it automatically. There was some kind of mouse point option but it didn't work the same way - it reacted to the left mouse button instead of the right one, which meant that I was continuously running to places I didn't want to if I mis-clicked part of the UI. I'll have to still experiment with the key bindings and try switching it to right mouse.

- I don't find myself interested in the story at all and was just and just able to read half of the first quest. Just too tiresome to learn yet another new lore. Not that this is the game's fault, but more mine since I'm too saturated with these games. However, I would say that WoW makes their quest windows very easy on the eye for reading, with the colour and font choices they use. And Rift's usability is not as good in these kinds of things.

- The usability and intuition is far better than most other MMOs we've seen in the past years, however I'd still put this under the cons because it doesn't match WoW's usability. Wow still rules in this category.

- The authenticator software does not support old basic phones apparently. I've got a cheap-o Nokia from 2005 and Blizzard's authenticator works fine on it, but Rift only supports iOS and Android phones.

- I can open as many WoW clients on this old laptop as I like (I've even had 4 open at the same time and all running in small windows) which really makes multiple accounts a cinch to handle. But I tried opening a second Rift client and no-can-do.

Pros:

- Nice character customization (nothing revolutionary though)

- Fighting feels quite delicious and efficient. I find myself very motivated to kill stuff, even after the quest is done! The feedback animations and audio effects are good and you get a satisfied feeling from kickin' ass.

- The flow of the game feels really nice so far. Not superior to WoW mind you, but just refreshing for the person who's already done all the WoW stuff (or most of it). I find my fingers itching to log on and continue questing and exploring, which is always a good thing and part of the "beginner magic" - we'll see how long it lasts.

- What little I've experienced of the class and talent system, and picking complimentary classes, it's quite nice! Right now I've got a cleric who has tanking and healing abilities plus a pet who heals and attacks too.

Despite all the cons I listed, I'm still enthusiastic about trying this game, so it can't be too bad can it. We'll see once I get more into it.

Report this post
Zamarane
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:45 pm 
Have you participated in your first major invasion yet Brambline? With dozens of rifts, elite invaders and the raid boss at the end? :)

By the way, the game has a normal seven day trial (not Ascend A Friend): http://eu.riftgame.com/en/products/mmo-free-trial/.

Report this post

Naohe
Alliance Matron
<The Elders>

Artisan Scribe
Artisan Scribe
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:45 am 
Just bought Rift, tried it yesterday on an old computer but the graphics card can't handle it. Bootcamped my Macbook Pro this morning so I'm looking forwards to trying it tonight.

Are most of you on Argent? How fitting since I have been on Argent Dawn all of my wow existence until recently when I transferred to Sha'tar. Is there an Elders guild or are we too few over there?

Report this post
Wolfhammer

Expert Scribe
Expert Scribe
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:03 pm 
I have a 7-days tryout on Rift and started to play yesterday at the Argent server. I'm going to play RIFT in the same fashion as I play World of Warcraft, going for lvl 60 without dying as my WoW characters trying to do ;)

Rift is a nice game (going to buy it today), allthough WoW will still be my "first" game priority..

Character name on Rift is:
Loirin - Guardian - Mage

Character in Star Wars The Old republic
- Loirin (smuggler, gunslinger) - Elders
- Folin (Bounty Hunter) - The Elders

"I can resist everything... except temptation."

Last edited by Wolfhammer on Sun May 29, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Report this post
Lyrael

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:02 pm 
@Nahoe

Yes, I think most of us are on Argent, which is also the one and only RP-PvE server in Europe (yeah, pretty much as Argent Dawn and Earthen Ring were for WoW at launch!).

Unfortunately I had to cut my playing time lately and I ended up to favour WoW, 'cause I wanted to finish some questlines. Truth is that I can't decently play 2 MMOs at the same time, I just don't have enough time for that.
I still have both subscriptions open, anyway, and my RIFT characters are those I listed. No guild so far, anyway, since it seems we are not that many and also playing on different factions.

I still think Rift is an excellent game, really. If evaluated fairly and without the burden of 5+ years spent playin WoW, I would even say that it is an overall better MMO. But the past cannot be undone, and I really can't leave WoW behind until something amazing and revolutionary comes and changes the horizon...

SWTOR (suspended)
WoW (suspended)

Report this post
Board index » Other Games » Read more about the Elders in "Rift"