View unanswered posts | View active topics All times are UTC + 1 hour
Board index » The Meeting Point » The Meeting Point: Dungeon Runs & Raids

Pentarth

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject: In-Guild Dungeoneering
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:24 pm 
Just finding my way here..... :)

I know I have joined the Guild at a crazy time family wise but I was wondering whether you do any Instancing or Raiding on any kind of regularity basis? I see in the Forums that a Nax raid was succesfully undertaken. Did you continue with this in any way? I also see a Kara Raid was initiated but that looks like it didn't proceed.

I have been looking at this a while and I get the impression from the WoW community at large that RP and Raiding are seperate entities...they do not mix...is this correct? It seemed that "Sorry we are an RP Guild" or "Sorry, we are a Raid Guild" was the stock answer I got.

It seems to me that Blizz have sorted out all the gearing and time factor issues that possibly made this a reality previously. Nax (the starter Raid) can be done with crafted and Rep gear now and can be time extended as required by the group.

I have always had a hankering to do a Raid in a light RP way..a sort of 'military operation' kind of thing, a uniformed look to the group. Is there any interest, am I barking up the wrong tree here...or am I just barking mad? :lol:

I know the ethos of this Guild is not to put people on recurring commitments but what about a regular Calendar slot. Say a fixed time slot on a Thursday and/or Friday that people could sign-up for week by week. It could take months (I am not sure if there is an ultimate time limit allowed?) for the Guild to get to the end of the mission but what the heck. Its for the fun of the tactical challenge and the achievement of overcoming it together, not the gear and badges!

Not sure if I am putting this in the right place in the Forum...is this considered Tavern Talk? :?

Theodomeus
Alliance Patron
<The Elders>

Artisan Scribe
Artisan Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:24 pm 
Good initiative!

Although my family situation is at the moment very demanding (still suffering from severe sleep deprivation, my two sons 7 months, 3 1/3 years, coordinate to wake up as many times as possible during the night) I would certainly join at least every other week.

It's good to have some kind of scheduled day every week, so we can ask in advance for allowance to the Higher Authorities (aka the Wife) :-)

Zamarane
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:47 pm 
Pentarth,

I organised those two runs. The first one, titled "Into the Hearh of the Citadel" was an RP-raid, and during two evenings we cleared Naxxramas (the 10-man version). Members of Swamprat Mercenaries helped us to fill empty slots -- ICly, we hired them to help us to scout the citadel. The second run, the Karazhan retro-raid was cancelled because of lack of signups. But we did one retro-raid into Molten Core and Magtheridon's Lair during October (with Swamprat Mercenaries as well). All raids were run on Horde.

I hope we will get enough members on Alliance to run occasional relaxed 10-man raid, like Naxxramas or Obsidian Sanctum. With good enough gear, even Onyxia/Trial of the Crusader could be done. I have one raid-worthy character (holy paladin Torianne, I raid with the 15th Dusk raiding community) and I'd be glad to help with healing coordination.

I would love to see Elders do guild-only raids into the current raid content. [* pokes Lulai, Lorellin, Talvar, Maeli and other elders on Alliance *] :) That would be grand!

Zamarane

Lorellin

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:16 pm 
Oh, if you throw even the merest hint of a raid (though I am usually woefully undergeared) or heroic in my direction, I will do the utmost to get there. On Alliance or Horde, it makes no difference to me. Both sides rock, in their own ways!

Maeli
Alliance Matron
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:09 pm 
I definitely want to experience some guild raids, on whatever level we can. Be it Naxxramas or higher. Like Zamarane, I have a holy paladin suited for raiding on the Alliance side.

Brambline
Rank 2
<The Elders>

Mama
Mama
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:33 pm 
I think it's a very nice idea to have a raiding night since it has become clear that many of us would like to do a raid once in a while.

I like the idea of a "dungeon night" more than separately scheduled raids because that way people don't have to stress about trying to remember when which and which raid was on, but would instead get used to the fact that say "21:00 every Friday night" is raid night. This way they could also mark it on their personal IRL calendars as a permanent fixture.

To keep things casual and non-obligatory, one option could be to not even have an invitation in the calendar at all, which people need to commit to and sign up for, instead have a permanent notification type slot in the calendar (just like the new years bash is now) which would keep people reminded that if they feel like a raid, friday night is when they could get some.

Come Friday night, we could see how many turned up 21:00 (for example). Sometimes there will be enough to do a 10 man, sometimes even enough for a 25 man (especially possible if we opt for a BC or classic raid since 80 levellers will wipe the place clean) If not enough people show up, then at least we could do a dungeon together.

As for which night should be "Dungeon night" or whatever it would be called, my guess is that either Friday or Saturday night is the best since most folks don't have to go to work the next day? Then it wouldn't matter if the raid tends to drag on longer than expected. They take a long time anyhow. What do you guys think?

The thing I like about the weekends is that I tend to "turn off" my work mode and allow myself to get into a relaxed and leisurely mentality where instead of trying to avoid stuff that consumes time, I actually can "afford" to do something that would require more emotional investment. During the weekdays I tend to feel a bit guilty and uncomfortable about doing anything hard core in WoW. Does anyone else get that?

As for the atmosphere of our raids, we sure don't have any strict "either rp or raid" mentality, I think a lot of times we tend to mix the two together so that we get a little RP in there without compromising efficiency. Depends of course on how folks are feeling and how quickly we need to get it done.

As for the "military operation" feel that you yearn, well seeing as we are far from a military guild, and we don't have any special storyline going about who the guild hates and who they like, it might not be something that would come naturally. Of course there could be ways to RP into that kind of mode, but I feel wary of building up any kind of "way" in which the elders is and thinks. Would just like to keep things as open and airy as possible. That's not to say I don't enjoy the military aspect, I loved it when I was playing an Ironforge guard back on Earthen Ring. But it just does not suit this particular guild that well.

As for what place to put this post - this was the perfect place. :)

The last thing we need to consider is how to do this for both ally and horde without them overlapping so that the folks that play both sides can take part. So for instance one on Friday night and one on Saturday night.

Vanija
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:27 pm 
I'm expecting to reach 80 a little later in the week (1/3rd of the way there after 2 dungeon runs last night) - and I would very much welcome the possibility of a sort of "Organized Dungeon Night"

Personally I can find groups through the new LFG tool anytime (as a healer I seldom wait more than a few minutes), but would love to run with you guys - whether it be heroics, raids or the odd PvP thing.....or something completely different.

But to keep it in the Elders spirit it should probably be no more than time set aside for those who want to join in......no sign-ups, no obligation to participate even if you are online.

Then we could see what we can do with those online who wish to participate (heroics, retro-raids, razing of Darnassus, RP cooking contests, in-guild mayhem at the Gurubashi arena, knocking off group quests, running lower level dungeons/heroics for achievements or mounts......whatever we feel like and have the numbers for)

Edit: I'm Horde side btw.

Vanija
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:08 pm 
I have now reached my full powers, and will put my services as a healer out there.

So if you want to run a dungeon and see me online, give me a shout and we'll see if I am available (depending on simultaneous Real Life (tm) activities), and we can qeue up together.

Please be aware, that I don't mind running ordinary dungeons if you need them during your adventures in Northrend, and running Outland dungeons will be great towards achievements I lack (heck - I even need some of the Old World instances for achievements).

Pentarth

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:37 pm 
Hmm...all dressed up in my 'cultist' gear and ready for the New year bash with bags full of fireworks and bangers, a fully loaded soul well and along came RL, barging in and hauled me away :cry:

See if I can get back to some sort of normality now!

Anyway, the 'event' night on Friday or Saturday really does sound the right way to do this methinks. Not sure, you guys and gals have been working things together for a while now so will have a better idea than me of what should work best.

The 'military' thing is just a notion of mine, don't give it much thought. I have notions about Liz Hurley and myself but HEY :roll:

In fact it's more the Uniformity thing than the 'yes sir, no sir' stuff. A lower 'gearing' level to facilitate none hardcore players kind of thing. You have a 'uniform' specification for group appearances and I thought that could be carried through into this sort of thing. I am a very hammy RP'r :lol:

For myself, as a Healer main (er, not this guy) I got so badly burned with PUG's early on that I have never done them since. Maybe it's better in an RP Realm but I now have a huge phobia about LFG. Perhaps I am just too old but I have a big tolerance for someone 'finding their way' and absolutely no tolerance for those that do not share that view...whether it's me or someone else in the group that is the "noob". In RL I task myself and my staff but this is a Game...its there to enjoy...not win!

Oops, soapbox stuff there....but as for my own knowledge of Raids and Dungeons...it's poor. I have been in groups that cleared everything up to Naax but as a Healer. My concentration is so much on everybody's healthbar and my own mana pool that the finer points of 'tactics' often go over my head and I easily get lost. In my last Naax run with Pentarth I had to really concentrate on not trying to instinctively heal people when they got low on health!!!

I have rambled on again here, sorry. In summary. thanks for the interest, it's very encouraging

Damkina
Initiate
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:14 am 
If you ever need a healer or dps when I'm online I'm happy to come along if I'm able to. As for days for regular events. I'm usually busy Tuesdays and Fridays. There might be more busy days if I actually go trough with my new year vow of going to the gym more often (yeah right).

And yeah random heroics/dungeons sometimes makes me lose faith in mankind. Some people are just incredibly rude :(

Zamarane
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:27 pm 
Damkina wrote:
And yeah random heroics/dungeons sometimes makes me lose faith in mankind. Some people are just incredibly rude.

In my opinion, that's the direct result of anonymity of a typical Internet user and subsequently, the lack of consequences for their actions. It brings out the worst in people. In real life, this person would get his behind kicked hard; in WoW, you can't do anything but put him on your too-short ignore list. :(

That's why I avoid the new LFG system if possible, and prefer the guild runs. They are slowly picking up on the Alliance side, but we lack tanks. Where is Talvar? [*stomps*]

Zamarane

Maeli
Alliance Matron
<The Elders>

Journeyman Scribe
Journeyman Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:27 pm 
I recently got a tanking set which has the defense cap! I'll make sure my secondary spec is Protection as long as Tal isn't back yet. I'm online this evening, I hope we can do a guild run.

Also, I haven't ever tanked on a paladin before... So bear with me!

Vanija
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:00 pm 
Btw. how's it looking with healers on the alliance side of the Elders?

I'm contemplating rolling an alliance alt (heck - maybe even transfer an old main) to join up on the alliance side, and damn if I'm not thinking about that one being a priest too........

Rolling an alt would make it my 4th priest, so maybe I should just think about transferring the dwarf :lol:

Theodomeus
Alliance Patron
<The Elders>

Artisan Scribe
Artisan Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:08 pm 
Vanija wrote:
Btw. how's it looking with healers on the alliance side of the Elders?

Well, on Alliance side we have both Torianne (Zamarane's main) and me as healers, so I think we are fine at the moment.

What about trying a hybrid, then (druid, paladin) so that you can decide later what to do? :)

Vanija
Rank 5
<The Elders>

Grand Master Scribe
Grand Master Scribe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:26 pm 
Quote:
hat about trying a hybrid, then (druid, paladin)

Now there's a suggestion.......maybe I should transfer the Druid (I don't think I want to level another one). After all she is feral specced but just need some gear/experience for tanking - so it would not be a heroic tank straght out of the box, but maybe in time.

And she'd have the versatility to do DPS/heal if that should be the flavor of the month (depending on gear and such ofc.)

Board index » The Meeting Point » The Meeting Point: Dungeon Runs & Raids